Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Staying Straight on Turns

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by lategreat808, Dec 31, 2016.

1. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Anyone have any tips or links on tutorials in regards to keeping the ken straight when doing one and two turn airplanes or lighthouses? Mine come out all janked out, flopping all over like a seizure.

Dec 31, 2016
  2. Allen Joshua Santamaria

Allen Joshua Santamaria Member

when you start have the small cup facing you, let go of the ken when you are about to do a one or two turn airplane (you will notice that the ken rotates 180 degrees that it makes the big cup face toward you when it swings out) wait for the big cup to face you, then tug the ken to rotate it and land the lighthouse. Chat with me if you need more details1 :)

-Allen S

Dec 31, 2016
    lategreat808 likes this.
  3. Chad Covington

Chad Covington Slayer

It's all about the little twist you give it right before you let go! I've seen some people do it differently, but I start with the small cup facing up and give a little twist to the right as i let go. Then yank the tama back to get those ken rotations! Hope this helps!

Dec 31, 2016
    Nick Lectura and lategreat808 like this.
  4. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Like @Chad Covington said, its sort of the same starting motion as a lunar. For a LOOONG time I didn't learn it, but that just made anything more than 1turn airplane tough!

I actually learned to keep the ken super straight on multi-turn pull ups out of a scramble before I learned it from pull/swing up. With the full revolution of a scramble, I think you have more time to really 'lock into' the 'ken being straight' position. The way to 'lock it in' is to keep some good tension in the string!

RELATED: This was part of the purpose behind the JKA string hole patent. The slightly offset string hole (a little more towards small cup, not centred) helps pull the ken into the 'straight' position, or so they say! (String hole position certainly does matter, but I've played all sorts of setups, and it seems like most setups just take a little technique adjustment in order to keep them straight and consistent).

Dec 31, 2016
    lategreat808 and KeeganS like this.
  5. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Definitely going to have to take some of this into consideration. Gotta take some time off of kendama to let my back heal up, herniated disks suck, sciatica is a bitch.

Dec 31, 2016
  6. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

Try using an F3 from Sweets. The string hole on the F3's are slightly offset, kinda like what @htimSxelA said about the JKA string hole patent.

Dec 31, 2016
  7. Blake W.

Blake W. Honed Member

If you want to totally call BS on the little "turn" and are tto lazy to try to figure it out, you can always use a GT wormhole, perfect pull-ups every time ;)

Dec 31, 2016
    James Hoang likes this.
  8. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Don't be afraid to watch them KUSA tutorials! The concept is the same for multiple turn pull ups. You just gotta tug a litte harder

Dec 31, 2016
    Cheech_Sander and lategreat808 like this.
  9. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

I have watched this particular tutorial but wanted MOOOORRREEE hahaha

Dec 31, 2016
    Cheech_Sander likes this.