Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

story behind username, profile pic on DS

Discussion in 'Non-Dama Drama' started by ttocsic, Nov 29, 2017.

1. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

So, I know a lot of you just have your real name and a pic of yourself as your DS username/profile pic.
    But, many of us do not. Share why your username is what it is (doesn't have to be like a deep traumatic story...) and what your profile is.

For example, my name is definitaly not Carlos Habbenero. I didn't feel comfortable using my actual name as a username for a site that I knew nothing about when I first joined, and, for whatever reason, Carlos Habbenero was the first thing that came to mind.

My profile pic is sort of an inside joke among my friends and my favorite teacher of all time. My pic is a cartoon that he drew of himself, and me and my friends got a hold of it because we thought it was hilarious, and now we sort of troll him with it. it's fun. Stalker you ask???? I mean...

Nov 29, 2017
  2. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

Oh, and also a lot of people have unique "signatures." So you can say that too. Mine is two TV show quotes. The first is from The Gifted and the second is from Magnum PI.

Nov 29, 2017
  3. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

My signature is just my social media links, and for Facebook, I'm just describing what profile picture to look for.

My profile picture is from the school website I use to check grades.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Nov 29, 2017
    ttocsic likes this.
  4. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

good post.

Cheech, obviously, is not my given legal name.
    Colin couldn't pronounce Christian as a toddler and called me "chee-chee" and it got abbreviated eventually.

As for my prof pic, it's me playing in Waxholm, Sweden.

Nov 29, 2017
  5. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

My name is my name. Pretty boring. But my profile picture I just recently changed. It was done by @r.quasi on instagram and since ducks are my favorite animal I knew it had to be my profile picture!

Nov 29, 2017
    Congarranza and ttocsic like this.
  6. Sirwillcode

Sirwillcode Slayer

Mine is a variation of my name... if I was knighted. Sort of anyways.

Nov 29, 2017
    Congarranza and ttocsic like this.
  7. cbwalsh24

cbwalsh24 Honed Member

My username cbwalsh24 is my first two initials and lastname, followed by my lifelong sports number 24.

My profile picture is a very speical memory for me. I was living in Bali, Indonesia. My fiance and I hopped on our motorbike oneday and drove into the jungle at the base of Mt. Agung, the volcano on the island, which actually just recently erupted!

We were over looking the rice terraces and rehydrating with a kelapa muda (young coconut), when she took a very rare picture of me. Afterwards, we went for a spiritual cleansing at the holy springs water temple, Pura Tirta Empul.

It's not easy putting that experience into words, but it was one of the most profound moments of my life.

Nov 29, 2017
    goenKendama likes this.
  8. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

Emil Apostol is my real name haha.

My photo was taken as part of what we call a "Facebook DP blast." A Facebook DP blast is when a group of people change their Profile Pictures to promote an event or advocacy; I think this is unique to the Philippines only, since I've never seen it used anywhere else.

This was taken as promotion for an open mic and poetry night. Since the theme was camping, I decided to wear a jacket plus the prettiest dama in my collection, which at the time was my Craft Maple slim.

Nov 29, 2017
    ttocsic likes this.
  9. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

I’m a percussionist and play the congas (almost religiously). Carranza is my last name.

Avatar is a shot I got of a praying mantis on my stairwell the day I became legend. That dudette just stood still and prayed before me as I did my bidding. I’m lucky to have not lost my eyesight.

Nov 30, 2017
  10. Guy LaBorde

Guy LaBorde Honed Member

On DS, my username is just my name. However my typical username, Guyster5, comes from a childhood nickname that a bunch of family and family-friends called me: guyster. I tried to use this as my first username on miniclip when I was a kid, but guyster was already taken, so I had to switch it to guyster5, and it stuck.

Also, my name is pronounced the French way, like Ghee/gi, so my signature is my name in japanese, "gi-" ギー

Nov 30, 2017
    goenKendama, Emil Apostol and ttocsic like this.
  11. nikki_deo

nikki_deo Slayer

My user name is my name plus part of my last name. Actually, I first used it when i signed up for twitter like 2009-ish and then just started reusing it on different platforms. lol

The profile pict is a selfie from 2014 I took on a trip to San Francisco with my best friend right before we biked across the golden gate bridge and up the hill to an old army battery/vantage point.

Dec 2, 2017
    Congarranza, ttocsic and Emil Apostol like this.
  12. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

If this was Eagle Point, I was there 3 years ago! Man, I miss the Bay Area. Beautiful place, plus the Dama scene there is kickass!

Dec 3, 2017
    nikki_deo likes this.
  13. rTTn

rTTn Slayer

rTTn is name I use everywhere. It's a combination of the first and last letter of my first and last name.I pronounce it like "written" but most just say "rotten". You typically will see a second half to my name such as CRAFT(Twitch), SKILL(PSN), or LIVE(IG). It just depends on how I'm feeling when I register on a site.

My image and Siggy are the logo and links to the Kendama Discord Server. I often also promote Chillhop Music in my sig as I am a mod for the 24/7 streams and their discord

Dec 7, 2017
    ttocsic likes this.
  14. Dæmon

Dæmon Moderator Staff Member

In the general sense, dæmon is an older form of the word demon, from the Greek δαίμων.

Many people equate the word "daemon" with the word "demon", implying some kind of satanic connection between UNIX and the underworld. This is an egregious misunderstanding. "Daemon" is actually a much older form of "demon"; daemons have no particular bias towards good or evil, but rather serve to help define a person's character or personality. The ancient Greeks' concept of a "personal daemon" was similar to the modern concept of a "guardian angel"—eudaemonia is the state of being helped or protected by a kindly spirit.

A further characterization of the mythological symbolism is that a daemon is something which is not visible yet is always present and working its will.

So, I guess you could say I am your friendly guardian angel, constantly haunting this site in the background, doing giveaways and watching for haxorz.

As for the photo, I forgot my eye drops that day.

Dec 7, 2017
    goenKendama, Emil Apostol and ttocsic like this.
  15. Donuts

Donuts Member

I get my name from my favourite album of all time, J Dilla’s Donuts. Dilla changed my life sonically and a lot of my life has been impacted by hip hop. I also don’t mind eating donuts and honestly I work out so I can eat more than I should otherwise.

Dec 13, 2017
    goenKendama likes this.
  16. mediocrewhitegirl

mediocrewhitegirl n00b

I got my name via my instagram handle that I get called on some occasions. I invented this handle via sophomore year in high school (which was three years ago now) simply because I thought it was funny and it's just kinda stuck since. My profile picture is literally me after I went from funhouse throw to house. So yeah, bland and basic. The end.

Jan 8, 2018
    ttocsic likes this.
  17. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

I like sloths. And it's my IG handle. Also Emil is my real first name.

For my Profile Pic: Went to shoot some pictures in a abandoned Villa in my city. Also there's some smoke

(Sitting up there was mad scary as I am afraid of heights as you can see in the attached picture it is quite a high railing)
    DSC_0015.JPG

Jan 10, 2018
    Sirwillcode and ttocsic like this.
  18. Sirwillcode

Sirwillcode Slayer

That place looks rad. Pretty fancy to be abandoned.

Jan 10, 2018
    ttocsic likes this.
  19. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

It really is. HUUUUGE rooms with very tall ceelings, marble floor & stairs walk in closets, marble basins.........
    also it's on a mad big property (around 70k m^2)

Jan 10, 2018
  20. Sirwillcode

Sirwillcode Slayer

Damn that sounds epic. Surprised there aren't hobos up in there squatting a life of luxury. That's pretty dope though.

Jan 10, 2018
    ttocsic likes this.