Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Swapping sarados

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Almostgets, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Almostgets

Almostgets Slayer

it seems like it may be a good idea, at times. However, wondering why anyone has done it, reasons, and their results.

Jan 29, 2017
  2. Terb

Terb Member

I don't like to do it with different brands because i find they always tend to fit badly.
    However I sometimes mix it up with my kaizens, usually just for some different wood combos

Jan 29, 2017
    Chad Covington likes this.
  3. Avry K

Avry K Honed Member

I have never done it because I like my damas how they are, but I think it has to do with how you like to play, what feels best, and most importantly STYLE! My friend Shea did this once, I did not think it looked great because it was turquoise sweets sarados on a krom ken but he did it because his krom spike broke off;)

Jan 29, 2017
  4. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

I do it to mix woods and improve either lunar balance or looks. If it doesn't fit, I use a weird post-it stack to make the sarado fit. So far, it's worked out well for me, but I make sure that the ken/sword is a lighter wood overall than the sarado. I also make sure that spike is pretty long when I switch.

Jan 29, 2017
  5. Avry K

Avry K Honed Member

Yeah definitely

Jan 29, 2017
  6. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

I do this when I need to. Sometimes it's to get the weight closer to the tama or because I want better lunars/slingers. I once came up upon 2 fresh birch GTs around the same time; one was super light overall and the other was on the heavier side. I switched cups and swords around and had myself a dama that was super good for lunars and one that was better for slingers. I still have the lunar one and it still shlays.
    I haven't swapped with different woods though. I've always kept the wood types the same

Jan 29, 2017
    James Hoang likes this.
  7. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Swapping between brands/models might fit weird, but some mashups prob work great. If a sarado doesn't fit well I usually won't play that dama much.

Jan 30, 2017
    James Hoang likes this.
  8. Blake W.

Blake W. Honed Member

Made my version of an 'SS1' with Kusa kaizens(sort of). Cherry kaizen spike, T-thorne cups, and ghost silk tama. It was HONED for slings and I played it until the tama had been chipped so badly I couldn't. In my case it worked I guess

Feb 16, 2017
  9. AdrianEsteban

AdrianEsteban Honed Member

I know for a fact that the OG RWB shape sarado and sword can be swapped with any GT shape that isn't a tallboy.
    Back before Stodd mods were released I put a maple RWB sarado x GT1 maple sword to mimic a poor man's stodd and it slayed hard.

Feb 17, 2017
  10. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes the swap fits the ken but doesn't fit the bevel on the tama so wing walker, birds etc are harder.

Feb 19, 2017