Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

"THE LOON" - Lunatac's new kendama

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by rhysgoespeace, Aug 10, 2018.

1. TheDamaDope

TheDamaDope Member

Having a contest on IG this week to win a Loon!

Tune in live on my page (TheDamaDope) at Noon pst today to find out how to win it

Jan 20, 2019
  2. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

I dont think it will catch on but it would be easy to consider them dominant and non-dominant cups.

Jan 20, 2019
  3. TheDamaDope

TheDamaDope Member

Potentially use the skate terms of Regular and Fakie?

Depending on if your string hole is pointing left or right.

Jan 20, 2019
    jimgrude and rhysgoespeace like this.
  4. Doug

Doug n00b

Absolutely the worst paint I've tried. Great for 35 minutes tho

Edit: my first post is about how bad the loon paint is.. No regrets.

Jan 20, 2019
    Donuts likes this.
  5. AlecMayhugh

AlecMayhugh n00b

Have any of you played the LunaTac Loom? if so what are your thoughts on shape, paint, etc.

Oct 21, 2019
  6. Mr.T

Mr.T Honed Member

It's ok for what it is but ground breaking i cant agree with them there. The packaging is awesome and its a decent dama but ill try other things rather than buy another. Just my opinion lunatac has some amazing products and ideas!

Oct 21, 2019
  7. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

@AlecMayhugh We already had a thread on this so yours has been included here and I notice you recently joined so welcome to the boards.

Oct 21, 2019
  8. jimgrude

jimgrude Member

The comparison they made, talking about what "the twin shape did for skateboarding in the 90s" is hilarious and incredibly false.

Symmetrical skateboard decks have never been standard. What happened in the early 1990s was that, as technical street skating evolved" a larger nose became necessary. The shape that eventually stuck is more or less the same as today's standard shape, where the nose is actually bigger than the tail. It's also a different shape and at a different angle than the tail.

It's just more recently that people are experimenting more with different shapes, and some companies now make symmetrical "twin tail" boards. It's still very rare, and I don't see it becoming standard anytime soon.

I feel exactly the same about kendama. There's a lot of experimentation with shape and dimension, and that's a good thing. Twin cups seems like an obvious idea, and it's something I thought about myself when I got into kendama almost 10 years ago, but I ultimately doubt that it will catch on. They are different sizes for a reason, and it's part of the game. Just because it makes things easier for us doesn't always mean it's a good idea.

Oct 23, 2019
    Cheech_Sander likes this.
  9. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

The Loon never caught on. I think this is one of the reasons SlayLunars isn't as active anymore; they really went all in on The Loon, but it flopped for being too focused on a kendama that specialized in Lunars instead of being a kendama that was excellent at lunars, but could still be an all-around jammer.

P.S. The price point is also ridiculous. For $75, you could get a premium, US-made kendama (GT, Craft, HG) instead of a China-made, weirdly-shaped kendama.

Oct 23, 2019
  10. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

They might have lasted if they would have focused on quality. I've heard that the weightmatching was HORRIBLE like 55g ken to 70g tama etc

Oct 29, 2019
    Emil Apostol likes this.
  11. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

Ahh yeah, the weight control was super off. Another issue added to a long list of problems.

Oct 31, 2019
    slothymane likes this.