Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

"The Thing About String"

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Cobikaze, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Cobikaze

Cobikaze Honed Member

Everyone has a different preference when it comes to string, but it seems to be the least talked about aspect of kendama. Since NO ONE likes getting tangled up in mid-lace, tell us what you think is the best string and why?

Nov 1, 2016
    Aloysius_hung_ likes this.
  2. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

I'd be more curious about string length personally. I think the generally recommended length is 2 fingers underneath base cup, but then I hear about folks who do 3-4, etc. Is this just preference, or do some tricks NEED a longer string length? And surely string can be too long, but where is that point?

Nov 1, 2016
  3. Almostgets

Almostgets Slayer

Love ozoras string. Silky and light. Seems responsive but doesn't tangle.

As for length, I'm learning to juggle. I like 3 fingers long, under the cup. Gives me a little more room to work with when things are in flight.

Nov 1, 2016
    Yourdy and Cobikaze like this.
  4. SouthpawTRK

SouthpawTRK Member

There are three brands of string that I like (and the reason why and in no particular order):

CWCS: I like the variety of colors, the thinner diameter, very tangle resistant and does not stretch out over time.

Kendama USA: I like the diameter (it feels thicker than the CWCS), the color options and the durability.

Ken Lab: I like the diameter as well, material options (nylon and satin), color options and durability.

On a side note, adding a Dama Mod is a definite must for those that get string tangles no matter what string that they are using.

Nov 1, 2016
  5. Cobikaze

Cobikaze Honed Member

When I started playing kendama I used a 2 finger length. However, now I use a 3 finger length because the new-gen style players prefers a little longer string for juggles, instas, late flips, etc. I would consider the acceptable range to be around 2-4 fingers depending on finger size. I have pretty small fingers so my 3 might be someone else's 2. It definitely all comes down to preference.

Nov 1, 2016
  6. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

I usually rock it 2.5 of my fingers.

Newgenner pros are on the like... 5-6 finger game? I saw some ridiculous lengths at MKO. Seems like pull up tricks would be tougher, but I guess you just gotta juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle these days.

Nov 2, 2016
  7. NicholasPereira

NicholasPereira Honed Member

I really only use white KUSA string unless something different comes on a dama. I usually run right at 2 fingers but trying to stretch it out a little bit.

Nov 2, 2016
    sambarboo and Cobikaze like this.
  8. Angelo Saček

Angelo Saček Honed Member

Three fingers is my favorite length, not really because of juggles but spacewalks. I think they don't look as 'majestic' on shorter strings :)
    Although I do find it a bit more difficult to go for double/triple spacewalks/mooncircles on longer strings.

Nov 2, 2016
    sambarboo, Vlats and Cobikaze like this.
  9. Cobikaze

Cobikaze Honed Member

WOW! That is really long. Hahaha, yeah I thought that your post in the "Worst Trends" thread was really funny! You are right though. There is so much more out there than just juggling.

Nov 2, 2016
  10. nikki_deo

nikki_deo Slayer

i really love cwcs speed string. it feels great when doing tornadoes and other string-esque tricks. also, i find 3-3.5 fingers lengths is justttt right for me

Nov 2, 2016
    Chelsea May Perez likes this.
  11. Sbermea22

Sbermea22 Member

best string out there is hands down KenLab strings but you can only get em with GTs now which sucs since i use to buy em in packs and now i can find em anywere. as far as string length that 100% preference, i rock a 3-3.5 but i can play with a homies 4-5 or even a 2 and it wont feel too weird but 3 seems to be most peoples sweet spot.

Nov 2, 2016
  12. Cobikaze

Cobikaze Honed Member

I just got the chance to try CWCS speed string and I really like it so far. Not sure if my GT-1.5 came with Ken Lab string or KUSA string, but it seems to work pretty good as well. The one thing I do know is that string that is constructed cylindrically seem to be more tangle resistant. I feel like strings with a flatter shape get tangled easier. What are your guys thoughts on this?

Nov 2, 2016
    Curtis Fagan and SouthpawTRK like this.
  13. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Ran across some US made string a while back that does not stretch at all. Plays great but is a little stiff in the beginning. I used to just play however the kendama came, 3-4 fingers, but lately I've been trying the JKA suggested 2 finger length and so far so good. I picked up some Kevlar for a Bahama Kendama Kenzilla that we use for events because even the 100# stuff we've used snaps.

Nov 3, 2016
    Cobikaze likes this.
  14. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

I've seen the excessive juggles too, seems a bit ridiculous. But surely a tastefully placed juggle within a varied line is not obnoxious right? As a beginner I do like juggles, they feel good and look cool, but not to excess...

Nov 3, 2016
    Kiyoshikame and Cobikaze like this.
  15. Dillonjohns79

Dillonjohns79 Member

nahhhhh. Juggles are sweet. and people that are good at them are awesome. it just seems like a lot people who are really good at them can't do anything else. I love juggles, but i also love other tricks and I'm rounding myself out, you know?

Nov 3, 2016
  16. triggerscold

triggerscold Member

i like ozora string a lot. wasnt stiff or waxy like others or so sliky soft it frays and becomes annoying. i like 3-4 fingers because kenflips get tangled easier when i play two and after i change tama a few times the string will only get shorter. if i cut one to two fingers ill almost never play it and itll just be frustrating untill i change it. and aparently ppl who juggle like longer string

Nov 3, 2016
    Cobikaze likes this.
  17. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Tasteful is tasteful, but often it becomes a sort of... difficult cop-out? Gotta keep em tight and purposeful. (I can't keep em tight, for what thats worth)

Nov 4, 2016
  18. RyanArthurWalker

RyanArthurWalker Slayer

I like Black string only and usually like 3-4 finger lengths. Like 3 with a little bit is perfect.

Nov 4, 2016
  19. Cobikaze

Cobikaze Honed Member

Same man. Black string is classy. 3 fingers+ is perfect.

Nov 4, 2016
    Nicksaw1 likes this.
  20. Chelsea May Perez

Chelsea May Perez Slayer

KenLab strings, hands down! Thank you, Grain Theory for providing some in the past. I believe they still do!

The strings on Sweets Homegrowns and the extra one in the box are awesome too.

I usually use 2 fingers string length. Or I adjust for comfort and accommodation accordingly, depending on the length of the Ken as well.

Nov 5, 2016
    Yourdy and Cobikaze like this.