Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

"The Thing About String"

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Cobikaze, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Andy Dama

Andy Dama Honed Member

I've been experimenting and watching the KumaFilms Zoomadanke video, but I haven't really recorded anything yet

Dec 31, 2017
    goenKendama likes this.
  2. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

When it comes to string, as long as there's a spinner/bearing on that string that prevents it from tangling up, any string is fine with me.

Also, on string length, I tried putting a longer than usual (6-8 finger) length string on a setup to practice my juggles. Might just be me, but it feels super awkward.

Jan 13, 2018
    Sam Strohmyer and goenKendama like this.
  3. Eruel Ursua

Eruel Ursua Member

I really like the ozora strings, I'm used to it's length( 3-4 fingers long) and how it feels.
    I also like the smooth feeling of premium strings my only issue with them is it's hard to tie it because of the thickness

Jan 14, 2018
  4. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

I did the same thing. sooooooooo wierd.

Jan 14, 2018
    Jasper B. likes this.
  5. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

so for me rt now, I have two prefered lengths-
    1. loose 4 fingers for new gen stuff
    2. loose to tight 3 for string flow

I really like sweets nylon strings (extra long) and kusa strings.

Jan 15, 2018
  6. Papadoc219

Papadoc219 n00b

So for me I love to have 4 finger+ on a kendama at all times to do double and triple orbits but besides that I stay with 2-3 fingers

Jan 19, 2018
  7. Aaron Gallegos

Aaron Gallegos Slayer

Are Sweets premium strings the silk ones that feel really soft (and kinda fuzzy)? Because I tried a dama that was strung with one of those at yesterday's ken oc jam and it felt amazing compared to the one I have rn.

Feb 23, 2018
    James Hoang likes this.
  8. Andy Dama

Andy Dama Honed Member

Yes, you can buy them in 5 pack

Feb 23, 2018
    Aaron Gallegos likes this.
  9. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

I second that. I also switch them out after a week or so of play because they start to snag on the wood when they begin to fray. I like the feel but I usually stick with KUSA string because of this.

Feb 24, 2018
    Aaron Gallegos and Andy Dama like this.
  10. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

I try and keep a setup for for practicing different tricks (lunar set-up, yank set, jiggle set) but I agree the long string almost does more harm than good when learning to juggle. I switched to a slightly shorter sting than normal on the juggling set up. Practicing with less room for error is making it easier to juggle on other dams. Only at one or two jugs max rn but improving little by little.

Feb 24, 2018
    Andy Dama likes this.
  11. Aaron Gallegos

Aaron Gallegos Slayer

Is KUSA string silk or nylon?

Feb 25, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  12. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

AFAIK pretty much all major company offerings are braided nylon, Dacron, or polyester. Real silk string on a kendama are rare though you can find the strings here and actual kendama strung with the silk strings here if you are interested.

The Sweets premium (and other company) strings are more like "satin" sleeved with an unknown core, probably synthetic, hence the shininess of them. They are pretty flexible but seem to be a bit thicker and get fuzzier when they snag on the wood.

Feb 28, 2018
  13. Luka

Luka n00b

About those silk satin Sweets strings, I really hated them and was really disappointed when I got them as I thought they would be like the ones that are on their 2017 pro mods (those are nylon?)
    I didn't like the fact that they tangle hell of à lot they do get fuzzy quickly and they are shiny!
    But by reading this thread I understood that they must be primarly used for string tricks as they do are really soft!

Also I'm looking to buy some 1.5x4x2mms bearings to equip all my tamas, does anyone got a link to a seller that ships in Europe?

Cheers!

Mar 1, 2018
  14. Aaron Gallegos

Aaron Gallegos Slayer

I don't like the ones on their prime pro mods that much since they are pretty rough. For me it's not that big of a deal unless I grind out sweets special for an unhealthy amount of time (I've gotten a blister in the form of a ring around my index finger). They are tough though. Both my prime and prime pro model from last year still have their original string.

Mar 1, 2018
    James Hoang likes this.
  15. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

If you have a problem with the satin/premium strings tangling, use a spinner/bearing and tie a double knot so that the spinner doesn't slip through the knot. Really nice to have it on, especially if you're doing string flow and you're hitting the tama around a lot.

Mar 1, 2018
  16. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

One thing I've found it that minor adjustments in string length can result in playability differences. On a few of my damas that I use for new gen stuff, I've made <cm adjustments on the string length and they have just felt better to play after that small adjustment. Any ideas why such a minor adjustment mades that sort of playibility difference?

Mar 3, 2018
  17. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

I can't speak to everyone but for me it's partly hand size that will work in combination with string length. Certain strings wrap around my hand exactly right for me to be able to catch the trick, too long or too short and it's just off and I pretty much can't catch the trick. It only applies to certain kinds of tricks for me though.

Mar 3, 2018
    ttocsic likes this.
  18. jstandi.dama

jstandi.dama n00b

If you're on that new style play and doing quint late kenflips then 4-5 length is good.

Mar 6, 2018
  19. Jacob Hurlock

Jacob Hurlock n00b

I recently strung up all my damas with sweets premium string, and it's awesome. It lets you do tricks like swirls and hand rolls without killing your hand, and just feels good. The 5 pack lets you trim the string to whatever length you need and the 2 pack comes at about 4 fingers, which is the best compromise between string tricks and pull ups, and juggles and flips

Mar 7, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  20. Matteo Schulz

Matteo Schulz Member

Anybody here have a link to amazon to get string for damas? (Nylon, not silk or satin)

Mar 9, 2018