Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

There is a thing.Parents despise that i'm jamming the dama.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jamboy, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Jamboy

Jamboy n00b

I do not know why.I live in Romania,where the dama love trend is on fire for an ongoing 2-3 years now.I am 15 years of age.By far,i've a really worn out Sweets Prime,1 out of my 4 damas,the rest of them being 'fake' and around the prices of 5-10$.I really wanna cop a POP for Christmas,but they say that 4 kendamas are more than enough for me,and I've been begging for a POP,or any other Krom for so much time.As an addition to this problem,they don't sell POPs in my town, but they do sell Geometrix,i also dig that one,but prices here are nuts.Say POP is 20$.here it's 100 RON.Our currency is bad and they do nothing about it.I've talked about our currency as it is another reason parents won't agree on me getting one.I also can't find it here.The nearest is Cluj-Napoca,which is 2 hours away if we travel by car,and i'm sure i'll find a Pop there.To end,nearest i'd get a new dama is summer sadly cause I turn 16 and can find a local part-time job for students,which'll make me about 100-200$ per month,depends on what I decide to work as,sadly

Dec 14, 2017
  2. Jamboy

Jamboy n00b

Repeated sadly,grind your gears ladies and gentlemen

Dec 14, 2017
  3. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

I have had the same problem in the past, But now I mainly order online, so I have bo problems with stores. In the USA the main way to order kendamas is online, and it makes everything easier.

Dec 14, 2017
  4. Jamboy

Jamboy n00b

i know it,but copping it from an irl store makes my parents find it more suitable than online cause of the shipping fees.Can't wait to get to part-time working next-year.If i do i might leave the pop alone and cop a BEAMS or even a 6yr

Dec 14, 2017
  5. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Your parents probably just don't understand about something that all looks the same to them. You might try telling them it's like having different tools in your toolbox; no one has all screwdrivers of the same size and type.

You might go have a look at this thread on ideas on how to explain your interest in various kendama: Why do you need so many kendamas

Dec 19, 2017
  6. Jamboy

Jamboy n00b

Thanks,i tried this by comparing 2 of my damas (Japanese $5 dama vs Sweets Avalanche).I told them to hold them in Lunar/lh and they've seen the difference,which is why I've just copped a rosadama

Dec 20, 2017
    Andy Dama and goenKendama like this.
  7. Andy Dama

Andy Dama Honed Member

Although, it might be nice to jam on some cheaper or slicker "Japanese" kendamas, it might help you develop insane consistency. For example, the DAN testing for JKA only allows for pretty slick, classic type kendamas, and the players who do this are probably extremely consistent at the tricks. (Some one please make sure my facts are correct)

Jan 1, 2018
    Sam Strohmyer likes this.
  8. goenKendama

The Ozora Premium models are tacky and may be used for JKA Dan level testing and competitions. I haven't had a chance to check out the new Gentosha and Yumu JKA models but they might also have a tacky finish.

Jan 1, 2018
    Andy Dama likes this.
  9. Andy Dama

Andy Dama Honed Member

Ok thanks. I really want to try those Yumu JKA! Do they have domestic USA shipping?

Jan 1, 2018
  10. goenKendama

I don't think they've "officially" been released. I've only seen photos of them though I've tried out a few of their prototypes.

Jan 1, 2018
    Sam Strohmyer likes this.
  11. BenWunderlich

BenWunderlich Member

My parents despise it. The noise, the price, they can’t handle it. For Christmas I asked to get the Krom Kamo. They told me no, that I already had too many Kendamas. There logic was that it is only possible to use one at a time, so why should you have more than one. Anyone else have this issue?

P.s I did receive a Kamo for christmas, and if I didn’t, I still would have been grateful with what I got.

Jan 6, 2018
    Congarranza and rhysgoespeace like this.
  12. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

I have the same problem, especially with the "you already have too many!" I have 6.

Jan 6, 2018
    BenWunderlich and rhysgoespeace like this.
  13. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

They used to, but only because I kept dropping it and making noise. So i decided to be extra careful or play outside if I was grinding out a particularly hard trick.

Jan 6, 2018
  14. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

lol yes my mom gets triggered when I drop a dama on hardwood.

Jan 6, 2018
    BenWunderlich likes this.
  15. BenWunderlich

BenWunderlich Member

Lol same. My mom says “THAT WAS 40$!!”

Jan 6, 2018
    ttocsic likes this.
  16. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

My dad is supportive in playing, filming, and making kendamas.
    My mom is supportive in going to events and kendama on social media.
    Neither one likes me buying damas. I only have 60:p

Jan 6, 2018
  17. BenWunderlich

BenWunderlich Member

Lol. My parents are very supportive of me with sports and other things, but I think they think it’s just a phase as I started in September

Jan 6, 2018
    ttocsic likes this.
  18. Aaron Gallegos

Aaron Gallegos Slayer

Unfortunately, they think it's just a phase and a waste of time. The money isn't an issue since I buy my own damas and am generally smart with my money.

Jan 6, 2018
    ttocsic likes this.
  19. goenKendama

@BenWunderlich We already had a similar thread so they've been merged so everyone can see the previous replies.

Jan 6, 2018
    KeeganS likes this.
  20. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

I first picked up a dama in 2015, but I never really started slaying until a year and a half ago. Before that I was sort of in that phase, but once you start going to competitions and meeting other really good players, you feel past that stage, and my parents started to realize that too.

Jan 7, 2018