Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Thoughts on 5-hole damas

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Pijiroe, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Pijiroe

Pijiroe n00b

Hello, I'm new here, names piji. I'm assuming like most, all my dama knowledge and media comes from youtube. There isn't much of 5-hole damas being slayed from pros and the big names(maybe I'm just not watching the right videos) but my topic for all of you is whether or not they are frowned upon from more advanced players. Maybe comparing it to how skaters frown upon pushing mongo or riding a walmart skateboard(this is actually a terrible comparison) I already know I will get some "if you like it just slay it and have fun" but I want maybe your own thoughts on slaying one(kinda like professionally)

Dec 27, 2017
  2. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

I don't have one but I've played one once. It was kind of interesting but the tama was so light it kind of threw things off for me. The added number of holes wasn't really as much of a benefit but perhaps if I had my own I'd get more used to it. Actually I'd like to have one with the double sarado ken; that would be kind of nuts.

Dec 31, 2017
    Pijiroe likes this.
  3. Andy Dama

Andy Dama Honed Member

It helps with control, if you have one ye doing 1/4 earth turns and tricks like that. It's not really frowned upon, just not a big thing

Jan 1, 2018
    Pijiroe likes this.
  4. rhysgoespeace

rhysgoespeace Member

I haven't played one, but to me it seems way cooler to be able to spike a one-hole kendama out of skill rather then spike a five-hole kendama out of luck. Plus I wouldn't say five-holed kendamas would help beginners spike it on a one-hole kendama; getting a kendama with tracking would probably be better for that purpose.
    As for why pros don't play them? I think:
    1. There are no five-hole kendamas on a good shape (tributes, from what I've seen, are one of the only five-hole kendamas, and tributes aren't super popular).
    2. They don't really add new possibilities for tricks, unless you count 1/2 earth turns or something like that.
    3. What I said above: spiking a five-hole kendama could be down to more luck than skill, which would be seen as less cool by kendama players.

Jan 3, 2018
    Pijiroe likes this.
  5. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Pijiroe and rhysgoespeace like this.
  6. Sirwillcode

Sirwillcode Slayer

Krom used to have some 5 hole damas a while back if im not mistaken. Better than tribs. No doubt but still not something that is very popular. Or applicable. It takes away a lot of the pride that comes with landing a gnarly trick with a sick spike at the end if you just poke at the tama randomly and land it. (Still cool) but doesn't seem as good. At least in my experience.

Jan 3, 2018
    rhysgoespeace and Pijiroe like this.