Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Tribute remake?

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by 96817dama, Jun 10, 2019.

1. 96817dama

96817dama Member

Tributes in my opinion are very unique, they just have such a unique play, weight and feel, you always know when you're on a tribute. KUSA started making them a while ago and I'm pretty sure the overall shape hasn't really been changed much at all. Sure the side stringing makes you have to play it slightly different for swing tricks and lighthouses, but probably one of the worst things is its lunar balance, which I think is why you dont see a lot of people playing them, like before. But kendamas have really changed in the past few years, brands are adjusting sarado height, moving center of balance, increasing cup and bevel sizes etc.

So what if KUSA remakes the tribute? Maybe not KUSA but possibly another brand? Sweets riveted? Who knows, but a tribute type kendama with cushion clear, big cups and bevel, better stall points, proper weight or weight matched components for lunars, slim sword for slingers and crazy designs would be cool, at least for me.

I know tributes often have a bad rep, but when I see pros or soon to be pros back in the day slaying on tributes, I know that some of the bad rep are mostly myths.

Maybe I'm not the only one who would like to see a remade tribute, and maybe I might be one of the only few who still plays on tributes. Not out of nostalgia but they really are a joy to play. I really like how the sarado height is fixed.

Any thoughts anyone? Any tribute love? Maybe this can be seen by KUSA or someone who's interested in doing this!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Jun 10, 2019
    5kwid and Loganphair like this.
  2. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

If anything, I see tributes as good beginner kendamas. What makes them marketable for beginners is the tribute-style string hole, which both makes stringing easier and prevents the sarado from coming loose. If the price was lowered to, say, 10-15 dollars, they would make a fine present for someone starting out.

Jun 17, 2019 at 8:23 PM
  3. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

The Tributes have gone through at least 2 shapes. The original Tribute shape that had a slim ken and the newer, current shape is based off of the Kaizen 1.0 shape.
    I don’t see the Tributes getting a newer shape, whether it’s the Kaizen 2.0 shape or something else because like @Emil Apostol said it’s built and marketed as a ‘beginners’ kendama. One you would get someone who isn’t all the way interested in it but maybe enough to where they’d want a true kendama after playing one. The current KUSA shapes, in my opinion, are too specialized and geared towards a higher level of play to be Tributized

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:26 AM