Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

WEEB THREAD: Anime Recommendations (recently aired)

Discussion in 'Non-Dama Drama' started by Vincent Dimaya, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Vincent Dimaya

Vincent Dimaya Member

Hey guys, I love anime, but haven't been super current with a lot of recent titles over the last 3 years because of college.

Can I get any recommendations for shows to watch, preferably ones that are very new and not 100+ episodes long. Suggesting super mainstream and old titles wouldn't help since I know too many, but if you must for your fandom go ahead lol.

Jan 12, 2017
    Chelsea May Perez likes this.
  2. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

How new? Latest one I saw that I really liked was One Punch Man. Only 13 eps I think (so far), if you dig it you'll blow through it before you know it.

Jan 12, 2017
  3. Vincent Dimaya

Vincent Dimaya Member

I liked it, one of the few I couls follow, but its not my usual genres. Im a SAP and like the more drama, comedy, and romance stuff over action, horror, and supernatural stuff.
    But yeah that range of time when One Punch man aired is about right. There are 40+ shows a season and 4 seasons a year, so I wanna see what gems I missed by watching very few

Jan 12, 2017
  4. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

Did you see Erased? I found it quite good. Drama but with a slight supernatural setup.

Jan 12, 2017
    Vincent Dimaya likes this.
  5. Vincent Dimaya

Vincent Dimaya Member

Loved it! Had a good thriller element to it without being over the top. They set it up for more content too by not explaining one of the main characters (gonna avoid spoilers). Im a sucker for time travel thats done right, like Steins;Gate, Madoka, and the Manga of Kami nomi zo shiru sekai.

Hopefully me having seen the shows you suggested means I didnt miss too much XD

Jan 12, 2017
  6. nikki_deo

nikki_deo Slayer

i dont watch as often but I really enjoyed Yuki Yuna is a Hero! it came out a couple years ago but i just finished the season a few months ago '^_^

have you played Steins;gate the game? my friend did majority of the translations for the english release

Jan 12, 2017
    Chelsea May Perez likes this.
  7. Vincent Dimaya

Vincent Dimaya Member

I have yet to play any VNs, but I would love to! Also I can't wait for the new installment they are making for Steins;Gate, game and anime!

And I'll look up Yuko Yuna is a Hero. Haven't heard of it so I'll give it a shot!

Jan 12, 2017
  8. nikki_deo

nikki_deo Slayer

yee! tbh, i haven't played it myself, but i have that and Root Double-BeforeCrime*AfterDays on steam i haven't started yet :oops:

Have any recommendations on comedy/romance?? I've only watched Itazura na kiss and LOVED IT.

Jan 12, 2017
  9. Vincent Dimaya

Vincent Dimaya Member

Some "shoujo" titles (basically girl-aimed anime with less fanservice and more drama) include
    1. Kimi ni Todoke
    2. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
    3. Orange

Other romcoms that I enjoy include
    1. Toradora
    2. Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai
    3. My favorite anime Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, this one is less comedy and more drama, its so good!

Jan 12, 2017
    nikki_deo likes this.
  10. cpthangover

cpthangover Slayer

Necro-bump! I was going to make a thread here and found this one.

What's everyone watching or seen recently? The summer line-up is alright, not a lot I am in love with. Gives me time to catch up with the 11 shows I was trying to follow in spring.

Jul 29, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  11. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Haven’t been watching much anime, since i’m busy with Kodoku no Gurume (on TV Tokyo, you can watch it Thursday nights, i think).

Only two i’m catching up on are:
    - One Punch Man
    - DB Super

Jul 29, 2017
  12. cpthangover

cpthangover Slayer

Another Koduko no Gurume figma just got announced and wonderfest if your into that!

Jul 30, 2017
  13. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Does this come in the "hara ga hetta" face?

Aug 1, 2017
  14. cpthangover

cpthangover Slayer

Since it was just announced not much is confirmed, they should do a full reveal soon

Aug 1, 2017
  15. dcc

dcc Member

That's so cool! I have not played Stein's Gate, but the customers where I work love it. Has your friend worked on translating other games?

Aug 14, 2017
  16. nikki_deo

nikki_deo Slayer

He's done quite a few! worked on Root Double, Valkyrie Drive, and Seinarukana and probably some others i dont know of

Aug 15, 2017
  17. dcc

dcc Member

Sounds like a fun job. I'm not really a fan of visual novels, however. I haven't found one that is immersive enough and won't creep me out slightly. Maybe somebody on here could recommend a good entry level visual novel?

Aug 15, 2017
  18. cpthangover

cpthangover Slayer

Made in Abyss is one of the best anime in the last decade. It's fantastic on pretty much every level. Definitely go watch it if you aren't already.

Aug 15, 2017
  19. cpthangover

cpthangover Slayer

Really depends on your taste. Most of what I have read is creepy/horror so I may not be the most helpful. What are some anime you like?

Edit: Not anime/japanese but check out digital a love story. It's not a game, but more gamey than a VN. Not creepy/explicit and one of my favorites. Short as well.

Aug 15, 2017
  20. dcc

dcc Member

I am still getting my feet wet in the anime world. Some of the shows that I like are JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Sailor Moon, Samurai Champloo, and Cowboy Bebop. Any recommendations for shows that are not mainstream?

Aug 15, 2017