Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

What is a lunar?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mr.Bishop, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

Okay guys I got it!! I apologize. Sorry @Mr.Bishop!! Please never feel bad for asking a kendama question, especially here. I'll refrain from using lmgtfy as much as I can (but no guarantees...) ;)

Dec 20, 2016
  2. Mr.Bishop

Mr.Bishop Member

Hahaha no worries man, its Karma coming back at me for all the times I've done that to someone else. ;)

Two more airplanes down. Lunar seems impossible but I'm going to work this airplane shit and maybe go for lunar over Christmas.

Dec 20, 2016
  3. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

Nice on the airplanes! If I could offer one little suggestion, I think there are a TON of other tricks that might be more accessible (and therefore more fun) before you go for lunar. For instance: around the village (big cup to spike), around japan, etc. Orbit (so fun), or even stuff like an earthturn, kenflip or lighthouse. Or if you're really digging airplane, go for a jumping stick right after. You might miss it a bunch, but the first time you nail it, it will be amazing!

Dec 20, 2016
  4. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Hahahahah
    I got that same thing but then I searched for small cup lunar kendama and it came up

Dec 20, 2016
    Ben Lowe likes this.
  5. Mr.Bishop

Mr.Bishop Member

Good call on the orbit! Just got one of those, though still crazy inconsistent.

Productivity at work is suffering.

Dec 20, 2016
    Ben Lowe likes this.
  6. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

Here's a good tutorial that I used for lunar by a person called Uriel Sanchez. I replied to some of the comments on the video where people had some struggles with lunar.

Hope it helps!

Dec 25, 2016
  7. Mr.Bishop

Mr.Bishop Member

Thanks man!

Honestly I think I've realized that a Lunar is way too much for my current skill level. I'm storing this, but working on airplanes super hard. Getting closer to that being somewhat consistent, and can't wait until I'm ready for a Lunar!

Dec 25, 2016
  8. Michael Joseph Reeves

Michael Joseph Reeves Honed Member

I would recommend getting airplanes down BUT they have to be done proper and have them land with small cup facing directly at you/big cup landing directly out. The first key to lunars is controlling the pull up.

Dec 25, 2016
    Pyromawn likes this.
  9. Mr.Bishop

Mr.Bishop Member

Any tips on airplanes?

I've been getting them, but it's still super inconsistent. Love the feeling of that trick, and I want to nail it more.

I've been watching the trick tip videos over and over, but I just can't nail it consistently. I keep missing the fucking hole on the Tama.

Dec 28, 2016
  10. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

Once you get the basic idea and execution of a trick, the consistency part is usually just a matter of practicing. The tips help you hit it the first time, but from then on, practice is key. Sometimes it seems like you're not getting any better at all, but in reality you probably are, and you won't realize it or see it until you least expect it.

Dec 28, 2016
    Mr.Bishop likes this.
  11. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

@Mr.Bishop it's also about muscle memory. When you do get one, take a moment to pause and kind of visualize what you did and how it felt. then replicate.

...x10000

Dec 28, 2016
  12. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

You got Lunars man, just believe.

Start learning airplanes like mentioned above. Master them.

Next, place your ken in the Lunar position and just feel it out. Feel the balance point. See how long you can balance it here. Walk around the house like this, up and down some stairs, etc. Having a tacky tama and a Kendama that has good 'Lunar balance' definitely plays a big role in how easy this is.

Next the pull up and catch. Study tutorials to see the motion. Try to catch the ken at the height of it's arch so that it's moving the slowest. Absorb with your knees.

I bet if you practice them for a solid 10min a day you can be landing Lunars in a month, no doubt.

Dec 28, 2016
    Mr.Bishop likes this.
  13. Mr.Bishop

Mr.Bishop Member

I think from yours and @Cheech_Sander 's posts above I'm realizing the other key here is I need to be extremely patient and practice constantly.

I guess it's like anything else, you need your 10,000 hours to become a master. ;)

Dec 29, 2016
    Steezdiaz likes this.
  14. Michael Joseph Reeves

Honestly if you break your goal (airplane) down into steps (the twist when you let go, the swing up, and the spike) and master each part individually(mastering requires analysis and change...) then put it together you can do anything.

But you have to be patient with yourself and focus less on landing the trick, just going one step at a time and learning with every step.

Dec 29, 2016
  15. Mr.Bishop

Mr.Bishop Member

Yeah I get you on that. Really there isn't any magic advice here - you understand the pieces and then it's a metric fuck ton of practice.

Dec 29, 2016
    Michael Joseph Reeves likes this.
  16. Michael Joseph Reeves

The magic is within homie

Dec 30, 2016
    Ben Lowe likes this.
  17. Jonas

Jonas n00b

I've been trying to land lunar for so long. I've watched multiple videos but I still can't figure out how to swing it the right way, it's terrible.

Jan 21, 2017
  18. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

Try not to swing as much as an airplane. Give the tama a downward diagonal quick tug toward yourself so the ken flips up into the right position. Getting the cup lined up can be troublesome and will be a matter of muscle memory and learning through trial and error. But if you can get the pull up you'll be most of the way there.

Jan 22, 2017
  19. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Well, with most tricks, you can break it down to several smaller components.

Before you try anything, you're gonna want to get your airplanes down.
    Like, 99% of the time, whilst the small cup faces you.
    This means you gotta get your ken twisting decent.

So, first off..
    Put the ken on the tama, as you would with a completed lunar.
    Each ken has it's own balance, figure it out by doing this, and remember the feeling.
    Walk in a circle with it.
    Walk up and down the stairs.
    Keep the ken on the tama with one leg up.
    Try to wiggle it around, try to counter-wiggle when the ken starts to fall off.

Then you may try out the second part (and most hardest of the trick), the pull up.
    Just like bird, use the tama to "meet" the ken at it's highest.
    Cushion the fall.
    Use your knees.
    Don't be afraid to fail.
    Try and practice, until you get it.

With a viking and jumbo sized kendama, it helps in a huge way too (pun intended)!

Bonus points for landing this with a natty or an Oozora.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Jan 23, 2017
  20. Ian

Ian Member

One turn small cup lunars are my jam!

Jan 23, 2017