Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

What is this kendama? Help me identify it!

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by James Hoang, Jan 29, 2017.

1. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

This is sorta similar to another thread, but I have this tama that was given to me by my friend, but I'm not sure who painted it and for which company. I think it's a Girr, but can anyone check for me?
    image.jpg

Oh yea; if you guys have any tamas that you don't know, post them in this thread and I'll see if I can identify a few of them. I won't be able to identify all of them, but I'll try.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Jan 29, 2017
  2. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a Girr Jeedup if it's a black fade to gold/copper kinda color

Jan 29, 2017
    Rutland and James Hoang like this.
  3. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

But I can't see much of the grain through the paint...

It does have a few gold sparkles though. Don't know if that helped.

Jan 29, 2017
  4. Almostgets

Almostgets Slayer

It's like the lost and found thread of tamas

Jan 29, 2017
    Rutland likes this.
  5. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

bumping this thread just in case you guys have mystery tamas that you don't know the original names of. (I don't know any of the prototypes and 1/1's, so just bear with what knowledge I have.)

Sep 23, 2017
  6. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Do you have, like a clearer shot of that?
    Also, more (high def) shots of the tama at different angles can surely help your quest in finding out what tama that is.

Sep 24, 2017
  7. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

Well, I kinda found out what tama it was from my friend. It was a Jeedup Girr zen like @Nick Lectura said. I just asked him one day because he gave me this big bundle of damas and said that he gave me 2 Girrs: Pumpken and Jeedup (Both tama only)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Sep 24, 2017
  8. Papadoc219

Papadoc219 n00b

• So I've been playing dama for about 2 1/2 months and have been having a blast. As I have been progressing so has my love for different kendamas. After getting a Catchy Standard, two KUSA Tributes and a Sweets Prime Grain Split. After getting all of these I have wanted more and I was super excited when my friend gave me a pretty battered and and used old kendama of his. Even though it was used I was excited to have a new one to play. The problem is ever since I have got it I haven't been able to figure out what brand or model it is. It says TK towards the bottom of the ken but it is not a tk16. My next thought is maybe it is an old Terra but I dont have a clue. If you guys could look at the pictures and see if you know what it is that would be awesome. 1518137596225591323976.jpg 1518137596225591323976.jpg 15181376332361292004966.jpg 1518137596225591323976.jpg

Feb 8, 2018
  9. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

DEFINITELY NOT a terra.

Feb 8, 2018
  10. Allen Ku

Allen Ku Member

Somehow reminds me those cheap kendamas you can find on Alibaba or Taobao, well thou they are almost cheap to earth(like $1 per pc)but they still slay

Feb 8, 2018
  11. Morgan Boucher

Morgan Boucher Honed Member

Pretty sure you can find them on amazon for like 12 bucks

Feb 9, 2018
  12. Papadoc219

Papadoc219 n00b

Ok, thanks. I had thought it would be some known brand since it has decent lunar balance and a sticky tama.

Feb 9, 2018
  13. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Like @Allen Ku mentioned, there are many different 'brands' of kendama you can find online on sites like aliexpress/alibaba (especially them) that come with 'decent' lunar balance and paint styles reminiscent of those everyone is familiar with; rubber/silk, sticky/LOL Clear/Prime, premium/KenCo Zen stripe paint, etc. So whether or not the tama is sticky isn't necessarily a good aspect to go off of to determine if it's a well known brand or not.

There are a lot of imitations out there. Search kendama on Ali Express and you'll see a lot of rip offs of KUSA products, some Mugen Musou 'replicas' and other damas similar some that have been really popular the last 2 years.
    Some slay, some may not slay as much but that all depends on the player and what they put into it.

Feb 9, 2018
    Rutland likes this.
  14. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Not a Terra, I'm not sure exactly what the brand name would be though. Some sorta Alibaba thing (like others suggested) may be the answer

Feb 9, 2018
    Jasper B. likes this.
  15. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

Feb 9, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  16. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Feb 10, 2018
  17. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

20180214_101343.jpg
    Just wondering what this is!

Attached Files:

Feb 14, 2018
    James Hoang likes this.
  18. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

That’s a Standard One-16, by Japanese maker Gentosha.

Feb 14, 2018
    James Hoang and Jasper B. like this.
  19. bencan

bencan Member

Hi Guys,

Please can someone identify a kendama for me.

I started getting interested in kendama just this year and I have bought a cheap unbranded one just to test out if I'm just curious or serious. At this point (around 2 months into kendama-ing), I can't still say. Although, I'm looking at kendamas on the internet whenever I get the chance, everyday. Pictures, videos, shops etc.

Now I know some of the famous branded kendamas on saleand I'm wondering if there's any difference from the one I just bought.

Luckily, the school my kid is going to had a few Kendamas. I happen to be-friend some of the teachers and they were generous enough to lend me one. They said it came from Japan. And there is the JKA seal/sticker on the ken.

Now I can compare my kendama to this kendama. Their shapea are both identical. There are also differences. The base cup is bigger on the japanese kendama. The Japanese kendama's ball hole is smaller. The Japanese kendama's spike looks pretty solid while the ken point in my kendama is already battered. The japanese kendama feels more solid to the touch. The Japanese Kendama's cups are deeper.

Kendama-small01.jpg Kendama-small03.jpg Kendama-small02.jpg

Thanks,

bencan

Feb 22, 2018
    James Hoang likes this.
  20. rhysgoespeace

rhysgoespeace Member

It looks like some sort of ozora to me, and if I'll hazard a guess, a keyaki ozora. It looks quite dark, but that might just be because it's 'broken in'; i.e. it's been played a lot.

Feb 22, 2018