Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

What is this kendama? Help me identify it!

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by James Hoang, Jan 29, 2017.

1. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

@bencan We already had a similar thread running so it has been merged with yours so everyone may see the previous replies.

As for the kendama you posted, it is a Keyaki (ken) Cherry (tama) JKA certified Shinfuji made by Hakushinsya in Japan. The Shinfuji line of kendama has been discontinued and Hakushinsya has started making non-JKA certified Minna no Kendama in its place which are very similar to the shape of the old Shinfuji but available in more colors/varieties.

Here are a couple of other JKA (Japan Kendama Association) related threads you might find interesting.
    JKA Kendamas
    JKA Dan Certification

Feb 22, 2018
    bencan likes this.
  2. bencan

bencan Member

I was a wee bit excited to know about the kendama that I intentionally forgot to look for similar thread - thanks for pointing me in the right direction, @goenKendama.

Also, thank you for identifying the kendama. Now, my interest lies in the kendama's wood. I like the sound of the keyaki ken and cherry tama compared to the cheap unbranded kendama I purchased (pictured in my avatar). To describe it -- sounds crisp. Also the cups doesn't seemed 'used'. The cups' edge are clean - no dents.

Anyways, thanks again for the info and the links. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading them.

Feb 22, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  3. goenKendama

Sure thing, happy to help. As for wood info you might start with these threads:
    Kendama Comparisons
    Shades of Grain

Feb 22, 2018
  4. bencan

bencan Member

I've read most of the suggested links here and the suggested links there. Serious stuff everywhere. Seriously fun. I can also feel the passion of most of the members.

I've enjoyed the readings - there's a new respect I have for what the kendama and its major players are having an effect to the world now and the not so distant future.

PS. even the sticker is not just a sticker but a well respected seal.

Feb 22, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  5. goenKendama

@bencan I forgot to mention that woods' sounds vary and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the quality of the kendama or the wood. The one in your avatar is likely Beech wood which is one of the most common kendama woods out there and while the sound, to me anyway, is a bit dull it doesn't keep it from being made into great kendama.

Feb 23, 2018
  6. bencan

bencan Member

I agree.
    I believe it has something to do with the maker and the age and part of the wood that is used to create the kendama - just like any other wooden instrument or equipment.

As a n00b, I am fortunate and glad, I got accepted into this forum - lots of info about Kendama. Honestly, I was only curious about identifying the kendama I just borrowed and if I got my answer - that's it.

Now, it's 3am here and I keep on editing this reply. haha. I've also spent more hours reading suggested threads - the politics behind and around kendama, the members who have made contribution to the spread of the kendama etc etc

It's mega info overload. I'll be sure to re-read most of these.

Anyways, one at a time.

Feb 24, 2018
    nimron13 and goenKendama like this.
  7. goenKendama

Just to make sure you don't run out of reading material you might want to poke your head into this thread as well. Favorite thread on DS. :D We do our best to make DownSpike a resource where those interested can find nearly everything they might want to know about kendama. We also do our best to avoid most of the digital drama associated with some kendama (and off-topic) other venues out there.

Feb 28, 2018
  8. Shadoshi

Shadoshi Honed Member

a ozora?

Mar 14, 2018
    KenActiveXD likes this.
  9. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

The question has already been answered, but the dama is a Keyaki Shin Fuji. Ozora seals have a yellow/gold-ish background while the Shin Fujis had black.

Mar 14, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  10. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

So just bumping this thread for anyone who has ordered a Mystery Kendama but has trouble indetifying the name of the design.

So I bought this Roots tama off of my friend but I’m not sure what it’s called. Do any OG players know?

Attached Files:

Jan 7, 2019
  11. goenKendama

Jan 8, 2019
    James Hoang likes this.
  12. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

THAT’S the name of it? Well damn I wouldn’t have been able to guess at all. Thanks!

Jan 8, 2019
    goenKendama likes this.
  13. goenKendama

No worries, glad to help. :D

Jan 8, 2019
    James Hoang likes this.
  14. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Yeah it is definitely the Groove. I actually love the Roots paints and this was a pretty neat design. Sucks Roots is no longer in the game. Some people really hated them and I did get several duds from them but I also had several tamas that came with downright awesome paint, especially the Splatter series.

Jan 10, 2019
  15. StrattusCloud

StrattusCloud Member

FEF5407C-F4CF-4323-BF2B-F5CD93A549E5.jpeg Got these for Christmas way back before I got into kendama. Just curious, they’re Ozora’s right?

Jan 10, 2019
    lategreat808 likes this.
  16. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

The one in the middle is a Shin Fuji for sure. If the other 2 had the same sticker then they are both Shin Fujis as well, if not it is kinda hard to tell because they appear to be the JKA standardized shape, which could make them one of several different brands.

I have a feeling none of these are Ozoras though, based off of how the paint looks.

Jan 10, 2019
    goenKendama and StrattusCloud like this.
  17. StrattusCloud

StrattusCloud Member

Yes, they had the same sticker. Thanks for the response!

Jan 10, 2019
  18. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

Bumping this! Was just gifted a dama that was purchased for ~$30 at a local store. Apparently they were claiming it’s “hand painted” and it definitely looks like it came from Japan. I recognize this seal as well but can’t place it. Paint feels like some sort of varnish. It’s not smooth, has some texture. Any tips?
    4657A766-6568-41FB-A56B-A85C61A2F402.jpeg 13CC63E2-4DDD-4BC2-A2D1-FAFBE853C9F0.jpeg 603710BF-269D-41BC-8822-1040794EAF4B.jpeg

Feb 9, 2019
  19. goenKendama

It's a Minna no Kendama from the makers of the Shinfuji. Looks like a new Beechwood release based on their Rokuro-sen (potter's wheel line) model. Looks pretty cool.

Feb 10, 2019
  20. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

Thank you so much! I knew I'd seen that seal before. I checked the JKA thread but since all the image links are broken I came up short. You're the best!

Feb 11, 2019
    goenKendama likes this.