Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

What Tricks Do You Steer Clear Of?

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by KeeganS, Jun 17, 2017.

1. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

What tricks do you guys stay away from? For whatever reason.

Me. Slingers. I can do them when holding the tama in my left hand and starting in 'Sling' grip. Can kinda do it starting in ken grip while still holding the tama. Can NEVER do it from starting position in ken grip, let alone Whirl Slings (or whatever name @Heshisfresh is comfortable with).
    Haven't really tried to grind it out during a practice sesh, and they are super cool to watch and I bet just as satisfying as many other tricks, but just haven't really bothered to get anywhere near it.

Jun 17, 2017
    Jedi_man and Isaac Ericksen like this.
  2. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Plus, there are just other tricks that I definitely like a lot more and am still working on (damn you multiple juggles!)

Jun 17, 2017
    Niek_Aarts and Eric H like this.
  3. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

I can't do one turn lighthouse. It drives me crazy, but I just can. I can do lunar flips just fine but it's the lighthouses that kill me. Anyone have tips and tricks for lighthouses?

Jun 17, 2017
    Dan Reinstein likes this.
  4. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

That's my go to when I wanna get to lighthouse myself. And my situation is a bit opposite of yours, I can't get the one up lunars at all.
    One suggestion I have, especially if you can hit that one up lunar, is to kinda slow it all down and keep your eyes on that bottom cup once it comes up.

Jun 17, 2017
  5. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

Alright, also is there a way to keep it from spinning like crazy? I try to swing it like a lunar so it is in a good position but it kinda goes crazy. I'm not sure if you know what I mean, but I tried my best to explain it

Jun 17, 2017
  6. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

I spin it the way I do a regular swing lunar (no flips).
    Actually, the main reason I can't get the one flip lunar is because I can't get it to keep from spinning out of control so the big cup is never in a position I can catch it in.

Jun 17, 2017
  7. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

K, thanks for all the advice man! I'll definitely work hard to get one turn lighthouse.

Jun 17, 2017
  8. JC Novallasca

JC Novallasca Member

Slingers, because i have fat fingers LOL

Jun 17, 2017
  9. theligitchriswhit

theligitchriswhit Honed Member

Juggles, they just don't look good to me.

Jun 17, 2017
    Emil Apostol and James Hoang like this.
  10. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

Late kenflips and juggles. It just feels SO weird! Even in my POV, it doesn't seem right as I have to time everything perfectly from the moment I have to flip the ken to how much strength I have to put into tapping the tama.

Jun 17, 2017
    Emil Apostol and KeeganS like this.
  11. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Yank spike

Jun 17, 2017
    Con man, Allen Ku, Jedi_man and 11 others like this.
  12. cpthangover

cpthangover Slayer

Another one for slingers. I've managed to do one slinger from ken grip ever. Also outwards Ken flips. I can do them but they feel so awkward. I am trying to learn to love them.

Jun 17, 2017
  13. Bryant Young

Bryant Young Honed Member

Typhoons, but I want to try to grind a trick out with them

Jun 17, 2017
  14. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Multi juggles. I need to get on em I guess!

Jun 18, 2017
    Niek_Aarts, Con man, Eric H and 2 others like this.
  15. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

If are having trouble banging out one turns I say first bring out that swing more and practice really "exaggerating" it. Eventually you will reach the point where you can feel the ken straightening out with tension on the string, and thats when you will start incoprating that slight downward inward wrist flick. After practicing this way you can keep tucking the swing further in until you find that happy medium.

Jun 18, 2017
  16. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Tama turns will be the death of me. I have landed typhoons here and there but the straight up "Tama turn" is so hard for me to nail. I still haven't stuck one.

Jun 18, 2017
    James Hoang likes this.
  17. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

If you're talking about the one Yourd did on KUSA's YouTube channel, then practice zero spin a lot and get it consistent. After you get zero spins down, practice incorporating the turn of the tama into the zero spin.

Jun 18, 2017
    lategreat808 likes this.
  18. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Thats the problem though hahaha, I can bang out zero spin no problem, I can even throw it up high and catch it super low but out of all the times I try to turn the tama everything just goes to a sloppy mess. I feel I will get it very soon but its been a challenge for sure. I suppose that is part of what makes kendama so great though, that feeling of lacing a trick you never thought you would get. I will watch both tutorials again and see if im missing something. Im going to land it soon though, I can feel it.

Jun 18, 2017
    James Hoang likes this.
  19. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

@James Hoang, I suppose following each other on Insta was what I needed to land it. After about 30 tries I stuck it right now and it was so smoothe.

I usually have zerospins that just float forever but this tama turn was short and super tight. It slid so perfectly in the hole I was jumping up and down screaming. Watching those tutorials again helped a lot.

Jun 18, 2017
    James Hoang likes this.
  20. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

Good job! I think from here, you can work on other combos and try to incorporate tama turn into them to get more consistent!

Jun 18, 2017
    lategreat808 likes this.