Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

What Tricks Do You Steer Clear Of?

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by KeeganS, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Aric Bukiri

Aric Bukiri Honed Member

None honestly, i try to mess around with everything!

Jun 18, 2017
    MicahDama and ksantos like this.
  2. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Slayer

inward lunars variations... usually i could do it fairly. but im kinda tired of inward lunars not because i can't lace lines pro/slay players do doing inward lunar, but for me it gets too overrated for this time. like pretty much couple number of players i follow on ig still do inward lunars like its the best trick so far...

actually i was on candle stick lines lately but i can't do that much cause my spike is short so im just improving my insta-juggle lines

Jun 18, 2017
    Dylan Hunter Onderko likes this.
  3. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Gunslingers are like my kryptonite!
    I don't spend enough time improving them (as it is, my hands are full with juggles).

Jun 18, 2017
  4. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

Slingers, string tricks, yanks.

Definitely need to work on the slingers and start doing some string tricks. I think both are within my grasp, but I need to buckle down and grind through the beginning awkward/hard stages.

Jun 18, 2017
  5. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Whats the difference between 'tama turn' and a typhoon? Afaik typhoon is just a general term to describe being in tama grip, and spinning the tama 1 full rotation in your hand mid trick. Is that how you're referring to it?

Also, everyone hates slingers! lol.
    (I wonder if this is the result of companies designing damas to be lunar destroyers? You can get all-around damas, but generally its a bit of a trade-off between lunar balance, and slinger-...ness)

Jun 18, 2017
  6. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

I have some setups that are advertised as great for slingers (TK, Sweets Prime, Sol Flow) but just have never really spent more than a couple minutes on slingers on any setup I have. A lot of it may be comfort zone; some tricks may just come easier to people than others.

Jun 19, 2017
    Dylan Hunter Onderko likes this.
  7. Fadwil

Fadwil n00b

I am also curious about this? And what is it called when you do a tama turn and a j-stick at the same time (like an upside down whirlwind)? I can land those but I dont know what they are called.

Jun 19, 2017
  8. ksantos

ksantos Member

Agreed

Jun 19, 2017
  9. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Tama turn is where you do a zero spin with the ken but turn the tama. So the ken goes straight up but you turn the tama. Typhoon is where you mix a j stick with a tama turn.

I also think that the whirlwind should be called a hurricane and vice versa, because a typhoon is an upside down hurricane, much like a typhoon is a hurricane in the southern hemisphere. That kinda bugged me.

Jun 19, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  10. htimSxelA

Ah okay, I'm pretty sure the common name for any tama spin is a typhoon. So doing it during a J-stick would just be 'J stick Typhoon'.

Jun 19, 2017
  11. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Oh ok that makes sense. I suppose the only one that is called a "Tama Turn" is when you do it with a zero spin, according to KUSA turorials. To me it just doesn't feel right to call it a Typhoon if it's with a zero spin...not Typhoony enough.

Jun 19, 2017
  12. htimSxelA

Ohh I didn't even realize that was a KUSA tutorial.

Oldest documentation I can find is a video from the Void, 2011:

@Jake Wiens @Yourdy you gotta do your homework before you name all these tricks ;)

Jun 20, 2017
    ksantos, Ben Lowe and goenKendama like this.
  13. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Hahaha, @htimSxelA calling peeps out. I have been calling it a tama turn for a while too, but now I know.

Jun 20, 2017
  14. Jenny Cho

Jenny Cho Slayer

I also used to avoid/hate "full" slingers. But once I got whirlsling down, I can't stop doing them - they're so fun! I do them way more than regular whirlwinds now.

The tricks that I tend to avoid/not bother improving are all stall tricks. It took me 2 years to finally get a stilt and handlestall. I know I'll get around to doing them more eventually, but I just tend to work my other tricks more since stall lines to me look the least flashiest, and require some of the most practice.

Jun 20, 2017
    ksantos, KeeganS and htimSxelA like this.
  15. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

For me, stalls were essentially the reason why I picked up a kendama in the first place. I remember watching Toqger (otaku moment) and seeing the green ranger land a bird (before i knew the trick name) and thought it was amazing the amount of focus and dexterity it took to land it.

Jun 20, 2017
    Jenny Cho likes this.
  16. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

I just got it! I can finally do slingers consistently. Now time to work on whirl-slingers. Anyone have advice for me?

Jun 20, 2017
  17. htimSxelA

Kinda like whirlwinds: a big, slow earth turn is essential!

Jun 20, 2017
    Jenny Cho likes this.
  18. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Jugs are my nemesis.

Jun 21, 2017
    Con man likes this.
  19. Brandon Jensen

Brandon Jensen Slayer

I've been fighting for a double slinger spike. Not a whirl spike, just a pull up double sling. And even when I mess up, I finally have the timing down for a double sling, and it just feels so nice.

Jun 21, 2017
    Chris Song and Edric Owen Ladera like this.
  20. KirStylez

KirStylez Member

I don't know what's wrong with slingers; I like them, especially when the tama is still loaded on the spike (which I do most of the time). That being said I should practice swing-in slingers!

Sep 11, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.