Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

whirlwind questions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Brandon McCormick, May 11, 2017.

1. Brandon McCormick

Brandon McCormick Member

So I love seeing the trick whirlwind something out it looks so clean. So when I first started in January my goal was to learn this trick before my birthday (4/28) which I did do plenty of times which is great but I'm still really inconstant and i noticed I can get the ken flip part down pretty well its just getting the tama to spin slowley. or even the right direction ive found the only way I can slow it down well enough the tama is spinning inward.

May 11, 2017
  2. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

I am in the same boat... I can do TONS of more advanced tricks, but whirlwinds just aren't my thing. It takes me quite a few tries, but my tips that I have found work are:

- Try to keep it all in one motion.
    -Get the earthturn rotation down first
    -learn how to catch the ken flip when it is flipping at a high speed.
    -Use your KNEES!!!

Hope this helped! ;)

May 11, 2017
    Brandon McCormick likes this.
  3. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

The key to the earth turns is finding an ideal "height" for your earth turn.
    Mine is about a ken length apart (between spike, and tama at its highest).

Then, make sure that you're able to consistently replicate the tama movement, whilst maintaining the "height" i mentioned earlier.
    Practice without the kenflip, just the earth turn motion, then slowly incorporate both.

Some people have a certain way of holding the ken, so make sure to explore that, too!

May 11, 2017
  4. Brandon McCormick

Brandon McCormick Member

Ya I would say getting the slow lofty earth turn is my main problem. I do hold it low like explained in the learn kendama YouTube video explaining whirlwinds. It's just when I slow it down and use my knees the loft earthturn turns inwards while my normal ken flip happens. I need to get the lofty regular earturns town but it feels awkward to ken flip with it

May 11, 2017
  5. azleonhart

You think you can tape yourself attempting whirlwinds, and posting it here?
    Perhaps we can help improve your form!

May 11, 2017
  6. Brandon McCormick

Brandon McCormick Member

it wont let me upload the slow mo or anyclips from my phone so heres a link to a video of mine

but yeah I'd love some tips and tricks, its just feels so inconsistent with the tama spinning inward

May 12, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  7. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

yeah just do a bunch of big lofty earth turns until you have the muscle memory dialed. after that adding the ken flip is easy.

May 12, 2017
  8. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

That was pretty clean and effortless! Thumbs up!

May 12, 2017
  9. azleonhart

Okay, so from what i see, there's no delay between the tama leaving the spike, and the flip.
    This may be the cause of the inward earth turns!

Try delaying that, as in once you see the tama has fully left the spike, then start going for the flip.

Hope this helps!

May 14, 2017
    pance likes this.
  10. Brandon McCormick

Brandon McCormick Member

That's exactly what it is. I do it all in one motion. Sending the earth turn and then ken flipping feels so awkward.
    I'd say my normal earth turn and ken flips are both consistent on their own but I can't really get the feel of doing a high lofty earth turn.
    But you're completely right thank you.

May 14, 2017
  11. L-Ride

L-Ride Member

Yeah I agree with @azleonhart, for me it's almost like a late kenflip, definitely two separate motions. Like you said, the kenflip is dialed so try to just concentrate on the earth turn, and if the rotation is right, throw a late kenflip. I'm no expert but that's my suggestion.

Also maybe give inward whirlwind a try, it seems daunting but actually isn't too difficult once you try it a bit. When i was learning them my whirlwind was kinda all in one motion too and I got a few pretty quickly, maybe because that way it helps spin the tama in the right direction rather than reverse, but may lead to bad habits. I think you could probably do it based on your vid though, good luck! Hope it helps!

May 18, 2017