Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Winter storage storage

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Morgan Boucher, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Morgan Boucher

Morgan Boucher Honed Member

So were I'm from it gets really cold and dry and I was wondering if there is some way special to store them when not playing with them? And info would be appreciated. Also what is it like where you are from during winter

Nov 28, 2017
    James Hoang likes this.
  2. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

3. Morgan Boucher

Nov 28, 2017
    ttocsic likes this.
  4. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

If you are worried about warping the wood, you can just keep them in a sock drawer, closet, a shelf farthest away from a window. It’s the hard change from one climate to the next that will affect the wood the most. So coming from jamming in a warm, humid, insulated room with sweaty hands, to jamming in arid conditions would suck the moisture out of the dama and could potentially warp it.

You can have a dedicated indoor hammer that never leaves the room, have a true hammer that goes with you everywhere (indoor and outdoor), and one that’s fine seeing mostly snow.

Hope this bit of a rant helped.

Nov 28, 2017
    htimSxelA likes this.
  5. Morgan Boucher

It just seems like the tamas get slightly warped especially my maple kendamas. Most of the time I just use my terra LBB and it's ash and it holds up well to the climate change. I'm just mostly worried about them cracking. My bamboo ones almost always cracked if I bring them outside and then in. @Congarranza

Nov 28, 2017
  6. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

I've been putting wood finisher on nearly all my kendama lately and though I don't have any empirical data I would think that keeping the wood sealed and or hydrated would help.

Nov 28, 2017