Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Worst trends in Kendama

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Dæmon, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Sbermea22

Sbermea22 Member

Kids don't understand that after you get sponsored it's a lot of work it's not just free damas and getting to say you're sponsored. I'm sponsored by KendamaMastaz (a smaller company) and I do a lot of behind the scenes work. I can only imagine what big company's pros have to do.

Oct 31, 2016
  2. Sbermea22

Sbermea22 Member

HAHAHA YES!!!! I see this too often. Mostly in the intermediate ladders

Oct 31, 2016
    Jenny Cho likes this.
  3. thaidiesky

thaidiesky n00b

When I first read this, I was really shocked. I don't follow political rhetoric in the media or on t.v. so I had no idea that this was a Trump quote, and I did not know what to think, at all. I understand now that this is a joke, but taken out of context it makes you seem really callused and misogynistic. I don't think that is what you intended but think about the fact that kendama is international, full of young people and women and the fact that you are an admin, it doesn't reflect well on the community or this forum. I don't want to be a buzz kill, but I just wanted to point out how it made me feel, and say it is possible that I am not the only one who will feel that way upon reading the comment. Dama on.

Nov 1, 2016
    zanneX, rylie, JesseTheGhost and 3 others like this.
  4. Cobikaze

Cobikaze Honed Member

This is something that has disturbed me for a long time. Show your kendama love, just like you show your fellow slayers. #respectthegrain

Nov 1, 2016
    Almostgets likes this.
  5. Dillonjohns79

Dillonjohns79 Member

I can't stand when someone laces a sweet inward lune line but instead of spiking it they go do a half flip to lighthouse then spike it. it totally ruins the flow of the trick for me.

Nov 2, 2016
    Gasiek likes this.
  6. Instagrom3

Instagrom3 Honed Member

I'm just gonna call it out right now, maybe they're dope dudes and i respect that if they are but

http://lunatac.com

seriously moldable weights?

Nov 2, 2016
  7. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

Hey man, I'm Stephen, good to meet ya! :D

I'm just an average dude pursuing a dream. I run a full-time business making films and this is just a side passion project that I'm excited about. LunaTac is just one of our many innovative products we'll be releasing. By the time most are reading this we should have announced our third one this week on Instagram (10:15am Pacific Time). Some will love our products, some might hate them... But in the end, I'm hoping to create more stoke and help players progress faster using our Kendama training tools.

If you need to stalk me to make sure I'm a "dope dude", feel free @steezdiaz on IG :)

If you have any questions or want to just chat I'm always down!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Nov 3, 2016
  8. bonerkid

bonerkid Honed Member

After Wyatt's final trick in the COTK Keyaki Mugen Musou edit, all the music cuts out and you just get to watch him throw that masterpiece to the ground in slow-mo.

That always made me feel sort of uncomfortable, but I almost feel like that was intentional.

Nov 3, 2016
    fiddletrix likes this.
  9. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Hmm I feel like #destroyalldamas is misunderstood. It isn't about destroying your kendamas needlessly, its about shredding the shit out of them, until you can't anymore. Its an understanding that by playing a kendama, it will take on damage and not be picture perfect anymore.

When kids are like "yea! destroy all damas!" and then try to yankspike it, I cringe extra hard. Its like... you doubly dont get it.

That said, chucking a dama after landing a trick you grinded on HARD isn't against the rules in my book. If it is sincere and in the moment, sure, why the hell not. If you've put yourself into it fully and thats an expression of emotion, I'm not gonna tell you its right or wrong.

Nov 3, 2016
  10. Chelsea May Perez

Chelsea May Perez Slayer

I don't know if someone posted this yet, and it's a bit hard to explain, but...

When people Sara-grip "side spike" and swing or dip their arm downwards, then say or consider it a "downspike." I see this a lot during Ladders (i.e. Around Europe Downspike).

Maybe I'm just nitpicky, LOL!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Nov 4, 2016
    KeeganS, Jenny Cho and SouthpawTRK like this.
  11. htimSxelA

I suppose in a strict contest setting, anything beyond straight sideways is a downspike, but obviously its way more stee to hit 'em straight downwards. I get what you're saying though, I agree its way better to keep it legit. Would you rather be the player explaining that- technically- a little bit down is still a 'downspike'? Or the player blowing minds and shattering eardrums with downspikes like Zeus' lightning?

Another thing like this: When doing 'around the' tricks that involve grip switches, it's wacky when people catch little cup and their hand is positioned like your normal big cup catch (so the ken is backwards, string hole is facing the palm of their hand). I think its much better style to catch the ken properly in ken grip, and then land in the true little cup position.

Consider around lighthouse: the 'true' littlecup throw to lighthouse is quite different than the big cup throw to lighthouse. By current contest standards, catching a little cup in 'big cup position' is A-OK. Buuut it's way cooler to do it legit.

Related: someone in my KWC first day group did around whirlwind (lv7), and caught little cup like it was big :confused:

Nov 4, 2016
    Chelsea May Perez likes this.
  12. Giulian Tena

Giulian Tena Honed Member

I hate how most tricks people do now are juggle incorporated.

Nov 25, 2016
    AndrewBenincasa_CNYK likes this.
  13. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

juggles and taps

Nov 25, 2016
  14. RyanArthurWalker

RyanArthurWalker Slayer

Dude, yes.

I never saw this video...

Nov 25, 2016
  15. htimSxelA

Crazy eh? It was pretty controversial... Kuma films hit up a bunch of their LV dama homies to film for it, but apparently didn't really communicate what it was for (Kuma being paid to make an advertisement for a big toy brand). So then this video drops, and a bunch of the players in it were sponsored by dama companies, and as you can imagine nobody was very stoked on the situation (essentially, sponsored players advertising for a BS toy brand). From what I've seen Kuma films is well-loved, but to me it seems like they pulled a really shady move here, unless the players involved weren't being truthful about what was disclosed to them in advance of filming.

In either case, Yoshigi seems to have disappeared (the website is gone now), so I guess we can move on from it haha

Nov 25, 2016
  16. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

Kuma did the filming for that? Wow crazy. I like most of the stuff they do, quite a bit. I know they take video jobs from companies and whatnot, but I don't think I'd ever seen one.

Nov 25, 2016
  17. thoplard

thoplard Member

When someone throw is Dama on the ground, either because he laced a huge tricks or not

Dec 4, 2016
    zanneX likes this.
  18. sorrywongnumber

sorrywongnumber Honed Member

OH MAN JUST LANDED THIS BANGER *proceeds to tag every single kendama player in existance

Dec 4, 2016
  19. Blake W.

Blake W. Honed Member

lacing a line then acting super obnoxious afterwards......especially if the line didn't deserve the reaction.

Dec 5, 2016
    Gasiek likes this.
  20. JesseTheGhost

JesseTheGhost Member

People who take things too seriously. Toxic attitudes. Elitists.

Dec 5, 2016