Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Worst Weights

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by James Hoang, Dec 2, 2017.

1. LineKnob

LineKnob n00b

My biggest difference was probably a keyaki tk16 with a 56g ken and a 82g tama. Juggles were really nice tho :)

Dec 4, 2018
    Sam Strohmyer and damadumb like this.
  2. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

so like 8 grams ken heavy for an 80 gram ken?

Dec 4, 2018
  3. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

Hm...I've had my fair share of ken-heavy setups...maybe 2-5 grams for me?

Dec 5, 2018
    damadumb likes this.
  4. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

My friend got a craft for Christmas that was 78 ken 92 tama.

Dec 26, 2018
  5. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Member

I’m not a seasoned veteran but I’d definitely be disappointed with that

Dec 26, 2018
  6. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

Yeah, like I was kinda disappointed when my Christmas presents were 12 and 16 grams off, but they were only $40 damas, paying $75 for a dama that's 14 grams off with a tama weight most people wouldn't even play is disappointing.

Dec 26, 2018
    nimron13 likes this.
  7. tomk

tomk Member

so i received a Krom Pop in the mail today and the tama on this thing feels super heavy, like there’s a noticeable difference when i switch from my Krom Kamo or my Beams to this Pop.

do you guys have this problem with certain kendamas? does it mess up your muscle memory to switch between tamas with varying weights? i wanna sesh this dama but even like earth turns feel a lot different because of how heavy the tama is. i’m a beginner so i’m wondering if this is actually an issue.

Feb 20, 2019
  8. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

Honestly, the mark of a good kendama player is the ability to play good regardless of the kendama in your hand, so I would say just work with it. While it is true that uneven weights can make playing awkward (especially if the kendama is ken-heavy), it's no bar to having fun with it.

After all, one can't really control the weights of a kendama, given the variance in wood density and the fact that KROM doesn't have the time to weight match its hundreds of thousands of kendamas.

Also, it's nice to note that different kendama weights have different advantages. Your tama-heavy POP is ideal for tricks like juggles and turntables; even Rolf from KROM prefers tama-heavy kendamas.

Feb 20, 2019
    Neil and rhysgoespeace like this.
  9. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

@tomk We had a similar thread running so yours has been merged. Check back through the previous posts to see what others think on the topic.

Feb 21, 2019
  10. g00dr0

g00dr0 Member

I bought an OG homegrown from Sweets last year, ken was 60g and tama was 84g.
    I understand that you can't control wood weights, but i think when you buy a premium dama like a homegrown, better matching should be a given.

Feb 21, 2019
    Con man, rhysgoespeace and nimron13 like this.