Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Young Shredder's Progression Theory

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by magicdamadude, Jun 29, 2017.

1. magicdamadude

magicdamadude Honed Member

Seeing all these younger players dominating the game is both wonderful and inspiring, but I'm sure a lot of older players (like myself) out there who see the younger players and think "How in the world can a kid be this good? I don't think I could ever play that well!".

Why do you think kids in the game have such a high progression level? I'm sure there are plenty of variables, but one I've always noticed is how large a standard size dama looks in the hands of some of these kids. It makes me think of when I pick up a Krom Viking and tricks are easier due to the size and weight increase. Maybe the body size/kendama size ratio helps younger players progress faster.

Let's discuss!

Jun 29, 2017
    sambarboo, James Hoang and Gasiek like this.
  2. Gasiek

Gasiek Slayer

I think younger players have more time to play kendama ;)

Jun 29, 2017
  3. magicdamadude

magicdamadude Honed Member

Also very true!

Jun 29, 2017
    sambarboo and Gasiek like this.
  4. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

As children, people's potential for learning is higher than as adults. Similar to why it's easier to learn second/other languages as children than as adults.

Jun 29, 2017
  5. Gasiek

Gasiek Slayer

And to be honest, children have lots of energy :p more than adults. And children are always searching for fun, when adults look in few different ways :D

Jun 29, 2017
  6. MicahDama

MicahDama Honed Member

I've thought of all of the above ideas before about why kids can slay so hard.

I think the largest part is the energy.

The kids I know that play kendama don't ever have to stop because they're tired. EVER

Jun 29, 2017
  7. Ricky Røge

Ricky Røge Slayer

All the things above are true. Also the general skill level and amount of tutorials is way higher now!
    When I started lunar, stils flips and whirlwinds were really high level tricks compared to now, where kids see people do insane tap, insta and juggle lines.

Jun 29, 2017
  8. Jenny Cho

Jenny Cho Slayer

I believe it's a mixture of things but most of it comes down to the natural high progression rate of a kid because of being early on in their development (so that saying that kids soak things in like sponges), and largely due to how much time they have to focus on one thing.

As an adult time is the #1 thing I never seem to have much of anymore. And when it comes to playing dama, I only really whip it out for about 30 minutes during my lunch break, as opposed to kids who probably can play it all day, every day. Especially during their long breaks. I can't recall ever taking off more than 3 days of work in a row since working full time. Hahaha!

Jun 29, 2017
  9. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

It is probably a combination of factors. They have more time, can physically play longer, elasticity of the hips and knees, mental flexibility, sharper eye sight, and less social pressure from peers. Also think about this, it is hard for adults to even get together for a couple hours a week with their BEST friend to eat dinner and get a couple drinks where as children have more free time to "hang out" with friends, even if it is just dama buddies. "Hey mom, I'm going to the park to play kendama with this new kid from school. Be back around 7." You will likely never hear a similar scenario from an adult, and being able to play with others helps a lot in developing new skill sets.

Jun 29, 2017
  10. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

Better knees, more time. To me these are the biggest factors to why us kids are better

Jun 29, 2017
  11. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Time, energy, less stress, less responsibilities, etc. So many factors.

Kendama has also taken the place of what would be practicing for sports or playing video games for some kids. I remember coming home from school and playing CoD for 3-5 hours straight, and I obviously got better at it the more I played. Wish I knew about dama back in 2010

Jun 29, 2017
  12. MicahDama

MicahDama Honed Member

I 100% would be sponsored right now had I spent all of my CoD hours on Kendama.

Jun 29, 2017
  13. Brandon Jensen

Brandon Jensen Slayer

Oh man this hits deep in my soul

Jun 29, 2017
    Sir Spike and magicdamadude like this.
  14. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

I so wish I had known about kendama back in middle/high school. But it wasn't really around then even, which is crazy. (aka I'm old)

Jun 29, 2017
  15. Stuart Barron

Stuart Barron Slayer

For myself who's nearly 40 I am more than happy with the progress I've made in the last 2.5 years. There's also no point in comparing myself to these young shreders who may have started around the same time as me. Although I pick up a 'dama nearly every day I have different priorities ie. my kids, wife, job etc.

Jun 29, 2017
  16. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

The struggle is real.

Jun 29, 2017
    Pyromawn, sambarboo and Stuart Barron like this.
  17. jon wheeler

jon wheeler Member

So true!

Jun 29, 2017
  18. sethtosta

sethtosta Member

All the above are true and I also think young kids have way "crisper" hand eye coordination than an adult. I played sports all through my youth and hitting a baseball seemed easy back then. I recently went to a batting cage and I felt lost. Now, not playing for 20 years might have something to do with it, but I think my hand-eye coordination is definitely a notch behind what it once was. Also, think a lot has to do with time to play. Our son goes to school, does a little homework, practices a sport twice a week for and hour (when in season), and spends the rest of his time playing dama (for the most part). We tried to figure out how many hours a day he plays (since he started) and we estimate 6 hours a day. Some days he will play for 12 plus hours (like while at MKO, KWC, etc.) and some day just a few. When he first started about 5 years ago, he played A minimum of 6 a day for a solid 2 years. It was crazy. Kids with no responsibilities have a huge advantage.

Jun 29, 2017
    Congarranza, Gasiek and Ben Lowe like this.
  19. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Time time time!!! As adults, we have to phycally make the decision to put something else on the back burner every time we play with our kendamas. Sometimes it is definitely worth it, as we all need an escape or release. Other times I use it as a distraction from stress. So even though I am "practicing," I am not fully focused to progress at a high rate. These are also the times that I spend a handful of minutes tinkering with a kendama, rather than slaying or lacing like my younger counterparts.

Then it's the knees…when my body is moving up and down, it sounds like popcorn getting warmed up one kernel at a time: POP! Spike. POP! Whirlwind. POP! 3 pops to my 2 tricks???? My knees pop more than the tricks I land? Yup! Well that sucks, but I love Kendama :)

Jun 30, 2017
    magicdamadude and Gasiek like this.
  20. Gasiek

Gasiek Slayer

So you don't need clacky bamboo dama :p

Jun 30, 2017
    Eric H, Congarranza and magicdamadude like this.