Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Basecup to Lighthouse

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by AirConditioning, Jun 2, 2018.

1. AirConditioning

AirConditioning n00b

Hi Downspike, I have a question. Is it acceptable to hold both the tama and ken at one point when you're transitioning from basecup to lighthouse? I'm guessing it is because I think i saw Rolf from Krom doing this. Here's an example of what I mean:
    Edit: Looks like Rolf wasn't doing this afterall. It only looked like he was. My bad.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Jun 2, 2018
  2. rhysgoespeace

rhysgoespeace Member

Usually it's seen as bad - kinda like handing a lunar - but I don't think Rolf was touching the basecup and tama at the same time, it looks more like he is holding the ken, and when it turns up-right, he let go and grabbed the tama.

Jun 3, 2018
  3. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Tbh that’s what i did when first learning the switch, but can now do it without holding both in one hand.
    It kind of helps you figure it out when first learning it, but for sure work towards being able to make that clean switch from ken to tama.

Jun 3, 2018
  4. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

it's definitely not acceptable, like you'll probably get made fun of because that's usually what noobs do.

It looks like Rolf is doing that in this clip cause he has big hands/the way they're positioned around the basecup, but he's actually just applying pressure to the basecup to transition it from basecup to lighthouse. his hand is never gripping both the basecup and the tama to make that transition easier, just a quick grip transfer from ken to tama

Jun 6, 2018
    rhysgoespeace likes this.
  5. AirConditioning

AirConditioning n00b

Looks like I was wrong about seeing Rolf do it in this clip. Sorry, that's my bad. Thank you to everyone for clarifying on whether it was acceptable or not though.

Jun 7, 2018
    rhysgoespeace likes this.