Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Calling all lunar experts

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Eric H, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

So I'm getting pretty good at lunar related tricks. My last few posts on instagram (@dama.eric) have been lunar related. The one trick I can't hit though is rover (i think it's called that) and no matter how many tutorials I watch I just can't get it. It always gets off balance and leans too far forward. Does anybody have any advice with this? Thanks!

Jul 28, 2017
    Gasiek likes this.
  2. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

I know you've already watched this probably but just wondering who financed and/or shot all these yoexpert tutorials? (I mean obviously yoexpert, but why)

Jul 28, 2017
    Eric H likes this.
  3. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

I have watched it and yeah, I think they got a ton of donations and they sell kendamas.

Jul 28, 2017
  4. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

Really, all I can say is experiment, and practice. That alone will help you master it.

Jul 28, 2017
    SnipesDama and sambarboo like this.
  5. Sir Spike

Sir Spike Slayer

I'm on the same boat as you

Jul 28, 2017
    Eric H likes this.
  6. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

You could always go on Lunatac and up your practice game with some sweet training wheels.

Jul 28, 2017
    Eric H likes this.
  7. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

Yeah, I'm not sure that that's the path I want to take though. My new Rez is super honed for lunars so I just need to get the right motion or technique.

Jul 28, 2017
  8. SnipesDama

SnipesDama n00b

I would say to take into account all of the tutorials you have seen and then practice applying it while playing. Play around with the techniques you're using until you find a comfortable way to do them, I know a lot of people who don't do the same trick anywhere near the same as a lot of other players. However they can still hit the same trick with a bit of a different style if you will. You got this my dude!

Jul 28, 2017
    Eric H likes this.
  9. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

K, I definitely will just mess around with it. Thanks for the motivation, it always helps!

Jul 28, 2017
  10. SnipesDama

SnipesDama n00b

For sure! Are you going for inward lunar Rover or reg lunar Rover?

Jul 28, 2017
    Eric H likes this.
  11. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

What do you mean by that? If you mean 180 or 360 I would like to do 360 but I'll start with 180. Is that what you mean?

Jul 28, 2017
  12. Gasiek

Gasiek Slayer

Here I am ;) First: the tama. If it is natty it is hard to make the motion with it because it has not so much grip. On sticky paint it can be too grippy at first to hit the rover. I will recommend something like silk or rubber, but sticky will also work. Now about the trick. When you want to hit lunar-> 180 -> inward lunar you can start lunar in a bit turned grip so when you rotate your wrist it is already nearly in inward lunar position without ken moving on the tama. Second pro tip in my opinion is about moving the tama. When you want to hit the trick I told you, you will be in lunar, and when you are goving it a little spin motion, you have to pull the tama a bit to your body. It is very important because the base cup will go closer and it will want to fall, so if you pull it won't fall down. I hope it helped :)

Jul 29, 2017
    Eric H likes this.
  13. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

Thanks so much, I can almost do it now! I'm so close, just which way do I spin it? Right or left or is it just preference?

Jul 29, 2017
    Gasiek likes this.
  14. Gasiek

Gasiek Slayer

If you are righthanded and you are in lunar position, you are doing it clockwise. If you are doing it from inward lunar, you do it counter clockwise. These are the easiest ways but also you can do inward ;)

Jul 29, 2017
  15. Thomas Lowry

Thomas Lowry n00b

Whenever I'm going for a new trick, no matter what it is, I apply the same strategy: be very aware of how your movements are effecting each part of the kendama, make small adjustments to your movements until you can find a specific way to get closer and closer. Being aware of how you effect the tama and ken with any trick can drastically help you get closer while attempting any trick. Lunar rovers are good with especially since it's a trick that requires a bit of finesse. Good luck!!!

Jul 29, 2017
    Congarranza and Eric H like this.
  16. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

One of the ways to make the rover easier is to pull up your hand while rotating the tama.
    I find that the slight pressure makes the ken stay on the tama, and helps loads with rover!

Aug 1, 2017
    Eric H likes this.
  17. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

I always spin 180s with the base cup on the outside of my hand.

Aug 1, 2017
    Eric H likes this.