Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Favourite Weights

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by htimSxelA, Oct 15, 2016.

1. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Whats your ideal weight range for a dama?

Most people like ken and tama close, usually tama heavy by a few grams. I personally find that more than ~8% difference in weight between ken and tama leads to weird spacewalk and swap sorta tricks (so a larger difference is still okay for heavier damas).

Personally, I like 67-74 gram kens for tama tricks, or tricks that include a lot of fast ken flipping / spinning, and then catching it in a balance (less weight = easier to stop and control the momentum of a spinning ken).

72-80 grams is the best 'all around' zone for me though.

80-90 grams is okay as well, but the sort of tricks I like light kens for get tougher (see above).

I have some 100-110 gram kens in my collection, and they're my go-to for cup tricks, spikes, etc. The ebony ozora doesn't lunar flip easily, but damn it feels great when you smash some spike tricks with it!

Oct 15, 2016
  2. Reanu Elises

Reanu Elises n00b

I feel the best all around weight for myself is 73 - 76 grams, not too heavy, but not too light.

Oct 15, 2016
  3. rTTn

rTTn Slayer

Pretty much the same. I just recently weighed all my kendamas and found my favorites are right around the low 70's.

Oct 15, 2016
  4. Chad Gatchalian

Chad Gatchalian Member

74g-85g is the best IMO. I also like my tamas to be a bit heavier than the ken to make turntables easier

Oct 15, 2016
    Mike Rendon and Ben Lowe like this.
  5. Michael Joseph Reeves

Michael Joseph Reeves Honed Member

i have a 100 gram purple heart tama that im waiting to get a ken for. lmk if youd want it or have a ken youd wanna sell.

I like mid range 70s for balanced ken, but the only super light dama i had was killer for stalls. I love the feel of landing basic stuff on a heavier dama, but string tricks and some technical tricks can be harder and MUCH more painful.

Oct 16, 2016
  6. EWiens

EWiens Member

Ken 67 - 75g
    Tama 70 - 78g

With the tama being +5g / -2g of the ken

But for real.... I don't really care that much about weight. I've been jamming a 65g Birch natty set up for a while are really like it, like landing new tricks, having fun.... Then I swapped to a 77g Hickory set up and I was like "whoa, this is fun too!"

Oct 17, 2016
  7. Heero

Heero n00b

Mid 70. But recently been loving high 70-80.

Oct 17, 2016
  8. Angelo Saček

Angelo Saček Honed Member

Ken 69-72g
    Dama 70-74g
    This is the range I prefer.

Also, I agree with Eric - I had fun playing with heavier and lighter setups. I'm more concerned with how well the pair has been matched (I love doing spacewalks).

Oct 18, 2016
    Yourdy likes this.
  9. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

160g with a 50/50 split has been my favorite for a while but I've got a 208g Brazilian Cherry HG I'm saving for a rainy day. Light 130s don't feel right to me.

Oct 20, 2016
  10. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Keeping the ken and tama close in weights, 67-73 is my best "all around" weight for both ken and tama. I will play anything from 65-85 as long as they're close in weights, but 67-73 are the prime weights for me. I am a fan of swaps though, so I usually prefer tama heavy because I've experienced weird rotations when going for a spacewalk swap spike or one turn with ken heavy damas.

Oct 30, 2016
    James Hoang likes this.
  11. Cobikaze

Cobikaze Honed Member

Low 70s. Around 73 is perfect. Weight matched.

Nov 5, 2016
  12. Chelsea May Perez

Chelsea May Perez Slayer

69g to 76g for both the Ken and Tama.

But because I'm so unlucky with Tamas (they're always significantly heaviest out of the two), I just try to adjust to it. What's great is that after some play, my hand oils, sweat, and some dirt (gross, I know) seep into the wood of the Ken, adding weight to it, thus allowing a closer weight match range with the Tama.

Nov 5, 2016
  13. NicholasPereira

NicholasPereira Honed Member

My range is 70-73g with tama being within 2g difference, either way. No less than 70g though. Yes, I'm picky.

Nov 5, 2016
    RRussell likes this.
  14. htimSxelA

I opened up a fresh pro mod last week and jammed it for an hour or two before stopping and throwing it on a scale. Spent time on a big variety of tricks, including a lot of spacewalks (including high spin - dub moons, kamikazees, etc). It played great, so I was kinda surprised to find it was like 8.5 grams ken heavy on the scale!

I swear sometimes its all in our heads haha. When I look at some of the damas I started with they're eggy and off-weight af, but back then it didn't matter. I do think a honed dama will help still though.

Nov 5, 2016
  15. Instagrom3

Instagrom3 Honed Member

i don't own a scale...

Nov 15, 2016
  16. Colin Hislop

Colin Hislop Member

I want to see that Ebony ozora! Will you film a few tricks with it?

Some of the hardest lunar/kenflip tricks I have ever landed were on a Aqua Zen with a tama 20 grams heavier. If it feels good in my hands, I jam it.

Nov 15, 2016
  17. htimSxelA

I've posted some tricks on snap with it, I guess no real videos though. I have it in a PAW display on my wall at home, so I grab it and jam every once in a while. Maybe I should film something with it.

Nov 16, 2016
  18. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

I like 70-75 grams. but I will still happily jam any dama off of the that weight. thats just what I prefer.

Nov 25, 2016
  19. Aloysius_hung_

Aloysius_hung_ Honed Member

I dont know the exact weight but jus like heavier kendamas with a heavier tama so its gd for jugs

Jan 25, 2017
  20. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Mid to late 70's is best for me.

Tama/ken is nice if dead on, otherwise within 5g heavier tama.

Jan 25, 2017