Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

FRINGECASE

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Qonnor, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

FRINGECASE premiers in just under four hours here:

Based on reactions so far, it sounds like this edit is groundbreaking, so I wanted to create a thread to contain our reactions as we take it in. So hyped!

Oct 11, 2019
  2. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

There is good, and then there is wtf-did-I-just-watch-Ben-Herald-is-a-god-good.

Oct 11, 2019
    Qonnor likes this.
  3. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

I haven't watched yet - work got crazy. But I can't wait to dive in.

Oct 11, 2019
  4. Kristina

Kristina Member

This is amazing! I love edits! This is next level and just inspires!

Oct 14, 2019
  5. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

2 points of interest about this edit that I have mentioned in FKC and on Instagram.
    - All of Ben’s posts on Instagram from the last year were not good enough to be included in Fringecase
    - It was just Ben and his camera and a tripod when filming for this edit. No one else.

Oct 14, 2019
  6. super_cdizzle

super_cdizzle n00b

first two and a half minutes were literally hard to watch, just because of all the edits.it made it way harder to make out/track/appreciate the tricks being done, i could tell they were fuego but i couldn't quite make sense of it. other than that tho this shit was fueg, big fan of the ken-tracking in the b&w shots

Oct 14, 2019
  7. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

@super_cdizzle for the amount of post-production done, I'm actually impressed at how easy it is to follow along with the tricks. I don't discount anything you said, but most edits with that much post-work would just be a mess to watch and know what tricks are happening, lol.

Oct 14, 2019
    Jake.ship likes this.
  8. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

I heard GT might release a slow-mo edition of Fringecase in the future.

Oct 15, 2019
  9. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

They showed the slowed down version at NAKO during the Fringecase premier. It’s just the tricks in slowmo, unedited and no b-roll/transition clips.

Oct 15, 2019
    Emil Apostol likes this.
  10. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

Oh shit I'm stoked for that.

I've watched it about three times now. I definitely feel that the post production adds a ton to the video but can certainly make some of the tricks harder to track. That said, a lot of the tricks are just mind bending and tough to understand at regular speed any way.

Oct 15, 2019
  11. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

Also note this first paragraph of his caption is such a cool glimpse into how he sees his place in kendama:

"Sometime in 2016 I began to focus more on innovation, when the worldwide skill level got so high that I could no longer contribute meaningfully to the progression of mainstream tricks, and I had to find new, unexplored realms of kendama where I could make a bigger impact."

I love the thoughtful and strategic approach to contributing to the game.

Oct 15, 2019
    halidan likes this.