Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Giveadama

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Steezdiaz, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

I sent mine in today!!

May 2, 2017
    Steezdiaz likes this.
  2. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

@Steezdiaz I am definitely gonna order one or two of these based off the initial feedback of testers, and I think it's a great idea. Do you have the next country picked out?

Disclaimer: I'm about to go on a bit of a freemarket rant here, and none of it is a judgement on this initiative, which I think is honorable.

The Buy One Give One model was, as far as I know, pioneered by Blake Mycoskie of TOMS shoes. That initial Toms company was running out of an apartment in Playa vista near where I went to school in Los Angeles. Several LMU students were involved in the nascent stages. After all, it's a pretty honorable idea, right? Especially for good, charitable, catholics.

Well, not exactly...

When well-intentioned westerners step in to help the poor in developing nations, they unknowingly create a system of dependence that makes it more difficult for the working class in third world countries to rise above their circumstances. Take a moment and imagine you are a chicken farmer in Haiti. You also have a small parcel of land that allows you to grow rice. By offering the surplus eggs and rice from your farm, you are able to provide for your family. It's difficult, but it's the best (and only) job you have at the moment. Now imagine that a well-intentioned church got word of the poverty and hunger in the area and wanted to help the situation. They send thousands of eggs and a few hundred bags of rice, for free, to your village.
    How are you going to sell your eggs? Nobody can compete with "free".

This problem was tackled in a fascinating documentary called Poverty, Inc. which I recommend anyone who cares about charity check out.
    Here's a review from a notable left-leaning hollywood publication that praises the film:
    http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/poverty-inc-film-review-1201649597/

Now, with #giveadama, this is a toy. Hopefully a toy that brings joy to kids that need it. I don't think anyone is working as a kendama manufacturer in any of the countries you would send to, so this is a totally different scenario. In fact, if a couple kendama's made it to the village I bet some entrepreneurial spirit might begin shaping his own kendamas out of local wood by hand and selling them. Either way I think it's great.

Got my eyes peeled for that may 13th drop.

May 3, 2017
  3. Gasiek

Gasiek Slayer

Deam that is a perfect idea!

May 3, 2017
    Steezdiaz likes this.
  4. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

Oh, also, I thought of what your next flag should be. (no offense Ian and DKT)

May 3, 2017
  5. David Morrison

David Morrison n00b

Two questions for you!

1) I heard the basecups were drilled too? Just wanted confirmation?

2) Any idea on what the retail price will be?

May 5, 2017
  6. ChrisPChicken

ChrisPChicken Slayer

I am a local Firefighter and Dad of two dama slayers :) This is the type of story and things I fully stand behind ! Anything I can do to help out and I'm in guys ! DM me an address and I'll send a few new kendamas I have here that the boys haven't touched to you . I'll get them others later when they need them lol . Nice job to all on this project . Friend , Chris

May 5, 2017
    Congarranza and Steezdiaz like this.
  7. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

1. Yep. 2. $30-ish (you'll see what I mean)

May 5, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  8. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

@Cheech_Sander yesss dude. Totally hear ya. I read a book on the toms dude and then also watched that documentary. Definitely two sides of the fence. I totally agree with you with not enabling poverty. I'm totally against that. It's that whole "don't give a man a fish, teach him to fish" type of idea for sure.

From what I've heard from our friends who are really involved in Uganda where we're taking these, the communities in Uganda are super handy, I would not be surprised if they start making their own kendamas or similar toys to sell! Who knows, could provide jobs for some people in the long run. Really at this point this project is a dream and we have no idea where it could go. But it's an adventure and I'm stoked to be on it!

May 5, 2017
  9. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

Great idea. I hope to make a little film to show people receiving the kendamas :D

May 5, 2017
    Brandon Jensen and Congarranza like this.
  10. Jack Harris

Jack Harris Member

What your doing is awesome @Steezdiaz, next year I'm going on a mission trip to Africa not sure what part yet though. I'm most likely going to bring a few damas to give the kids and teach them how to play.

May 9, 2017
    Steezdiaz likes this.
  11. Jack Harris

Jack Harris Member

Also from the all the videos I've seen the #giveadama seems to slay!!!

May 9, 2017
  12. Bloukinen

Bloukinen Honed Member

Just copped! So hyped!

May 13, 2017
    Steezdiaz and Congarranza like this.
  13. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Same here!! Awesome idea to add a note to the packaging! Love Love Love!

May 13, 2017
    Steezdiaz and Bloukinen like this.
  14. Duke Dean

Duke Dean Member

You guys should also make one for the homeless in the united states

May 15, 2017
  15. Aric Bukiri

Aric Bukiri Honed Member

Just snagged one the other day

May 15, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  16. Jack Smith

Jack Smith n00b

Can't wait for mine! Also it will be great for a kid in not such a great situation to get his/hers! I hope it brings them joy! It's a great project and a great idea for a kendama! Nice work lunatac.

May 15, 2017
    Steezdiaz likes this.
  17. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

Thanks everyone! ^^^ love the notes you guys all wrote!

May 17, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  18. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

It caught me by surprise during the checkout process. I'll be ready for the next batch.

May 17, 2017
  19. Jenny Cho

Jenny Cho Slayer

I'm very excited to receive mine! It's on its way and apparently arriving at the end of the week! I can't wait to hear about how the project does for this run! It's really such a great idea @Steezdiaz. :D

May 18, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  20. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

IMG_0545.JPG
    This is the #GIVEADAMA:
    #29/100
    Tama: 64.1g
    Ken: 69.1g
    Sarado: 36.8g
    Spike: 32.3g

May 18, 2017