Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Ken-Grip basecup trade lighthouse

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Sir Spike, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Sir Spike

Sir Spike Slayer

I'm posting this because I always think to myself wether it is necessary to pop the ken up and catch lighthouse with the tama or if it's okay to just roll the ken upward into position. Obviously, I'm not touching both ken and tama at the same time but, I just wanted to see what the community thought. I've been popping the ken up for this trick but, often I think it's unnecessary unless your doing a 1up lh.

Sep 5, 2017
  2. Brandon Jensen

Brandon Jensen Slayer

I personally don't consider it fasthand if you even ghost the ken up To lighthouse. It needs to be you with hand touching the ken, placing it on top of the tama, and then grabbing the tama and getting lighthouse.

I don't do that though because I'm not good enough, so I always ghost it up, I just don't consider it fast hands.

Watch some of joris? I think that's his name. The Swedish kendamausa tribe player. He kills fasthand to lighthouse tricks. Also @KeeganS landed a super clean around lighthouse fasthand that you should be able to find on his Instagram.

Sep 5, 2017
  3. Sir Spike

Sir Spike Slayer

Yeah you're right. It would be considered a trade? Let me edit my previous post. So I guess if you were to just slid it up it would be a base ghost to lighthouse and if you were to pop and caught it would be base trade lighthouse?

Also,

For a fast hand lighthouse isn't it more of pulling tama up, waiting for it to fall, dropping ken, grab tama and cushion ken in lh. That's how I've been taught from learnkendama app which has a couple trick that they do poorly. Specifically learning lighthouse. They have you pull up with spike facing left(right hand play) which the spike should be on the right side of the string so you can go into a lunar or whatever . It's just the correct way. And also juggle is done bad as well. They don't talk about how you need to actually learn timing to juggle. They just instruct you to pull the tama up to you ken and smack it. This messed me up when learning double juggles. I had to relearn from watching the sweets tutorial.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Sep 5, 2017
  4. Brandon Jensen

Brandon Jensen Slayer

I try and make it as close as possible to say, a stuntplane fasthand trick. you are essentially placing the tama on the spike, or really close to it, and then switching grip. so i just thought that it would be the same way for lighthouse fasthands.

Sep 5, 2017
  5. Sir Spike

Sir Spike Slayer

Okay, cool. That's what I've been doing. I pull up wait till the base up and tama are about half inch apart and then switch grips. The hard part is hole control on this trick. It's hard to spin the hole up and keep the rest of the trick in line because you want that ken to drop perfectly on that tama. It's easy to throw things off slightly trying control the hole.

Sep 5, 2017
  6. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Well you can do basecup to lighthouse in multiple different ways.

There's basecup, trade to lighthouse (giving the ken a half turn so that the spike goes from facing downward to up)
    basecup, pressure to lighthouse (basecup and tama remain in contact the entire time, and once the ken is on top of the ball, you switch grips to lighthouse)
    basecup, ghost to lighthouse (pop the ball up from basecup and then ghost it to house)

So I guess to answer your question, its not not necessary, there's just different ways of doing the trick. I personally prefer pressure transfers rather than popping the ken up and giving it that half turn.

Sep 8, 2017
  7. Sir Spike

Sir Spike Slayer

Could you explain what a ghost is?

Sep 8, 2017
  8. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Ghost is kinda like fasthands, but less fast..
    Haha that’s really the only way i can say it

Sep 8, 2017
  9. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Videos paint a perfect visual in this situation. Maybe link some IG clips that show the two different variations.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Sep 8, 2017
  10. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Fasthand lighthouse, you're positioning the ken above the tama and moving your hand to catch in tama grip (similar to stuntplane fasthand spike).

Ghost lighthouse, after getting the tama in the air you're then tossing (not throwing) the ken up gently so it is in the correct position with the spike facing up before catching the tama so when the ken falls, you are able to catch it on the base cup in lighthouse.

Sep 9, 2017
  11. Sir Spike

Sir Spike Slayer

Thanks for explaining! I think I understand now!

Sep 9, 2017