Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Kendama Innovation/Experimentation Ideas Free of Charge

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Evergarden, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Evergarden

Evergarden n00b

Some Dama innovation/experimentation ideas free of charge (sorrie im a commie xD much as i sorta would like a business model for myself, i also just want to get the ideas out there)

-Foam/something in the tama hole to slow down spike wear. Also makes the dama a bit quieter (similar to mugen's replacable tips in some ways)

-Velvet padding (or some other type of padding, such as the things that go under the feet of chairs on hard wood floors) on the cups. Also also could make the dama quieter for late nights/early morning (and sometimes the sound gets a bit jarring to mine ears anyway, tho the sound is also part of what makes dama enjoyable, and i dont think it would completely lose the sound, just changes it a bit, similar to dendama i imagine)

-Rotating joint attachment points on the tama and the ken for the string to unwind itself. So frustrating when the string gets coiled and bunched up, or the tama spins on its own when im trying to steady it to practice stalls. -Some sort of metal rotating joint like they have on some keychains and necklaces that would let the tension of the string untwist itself (hypothetically, idk how it would work, plus again it would take away from the minimalist element of the kendama...unless the whole string was a chain of those rotating joints, that would be sick)
    detachable cups/some sort of cup guard to prevent wear (tho that kinda ruins the whole honing of the kendama and such)..being able to buy just sarados or just the cups would be something, if someone does way more base cup taps or way more cup stalls and wears one quicker than the other.

-more niche idea: instead of grippy guards on the edges of the cups, metal rings for "grinds" (spin tama, grind to a stop or grind and then jump off of cup/ring)

TL;DR I would make a magic wand "quiet" TM (R) (C) kendama with the mugen-esque replacable tips (if they didn't have a copyright on it, i think they do, no hate, just frustration, well kindof hate, not at them specifically, idk, society mon), velvet padding on the cups, and foam at the base of the inside of the tama hole, and rotating joints/chain string. The kendama tip would wear slower, it would be quieter, and the string wouldn't get wound up on itself

got any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Oct 27, 2020
    Ochee3 and Emil Apostol like this.
  2. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Velvet covered tama:

soft catch sq.jpg

Polyurethane in the cups:
    Catchy Air Red Blk (1).jpg

Bearing (replaces bead) to help with tangles:

Changable cups:

bandai gunslinger (1).jpg bandai gunslinger (2).jpg

Kendama Bumpers help with stall practice, semi protect edges.
    kenama bumpers TK web.jpg

Oct 27, 2020
  3. Evergarden

Evergarden n00b

ah, sweet! I like that the bearing helps, and i like the minimalism of the bearing for sure.

Do you know where one could get a hold of a velvet covered tama? looks pretty fun and interesting to try tho i imagine the spike would cause harsh wear on it (doesn't seem to be on shinfuji website anymore)

these are the type of things that i imagine would reduce the twisting further than the bearing would, but idk, and idk how they would attach to the kendama as they dont seem to be made with one side being a screw or such (and screwing stuff on a kendama feels so aesthetically blasphemous, kendama feels more like japanese joinery without screws)

or a chain made entirely out of swiveling joints instead of string, tho i imagine that would cause pinching, and putting a sleeve over the chain might not be any good if the sleeve gets wound, defeating the purpose

ill probly buy some bumpers once your shop opens up again^^

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Oct 27, 2020
    Ochee3 and goenKendama like this.
  4. Evergarden

Evergarden n00b

those changeable cups are pretty crazy! as someone eco-focused, unless its bio-plastic it doesn't seem so eco-friendly and plastic feels tacky, but that's just also my over-opinionated opinion :confused::p it nonetheless seems functional in that purpose of having removable cups, pretty awesome!

i imagine some sort of screw system carved into the wood of the cups or japanese joinery between the cup part of the cups and the middle part would be crazyo_O:cool:$$

thanks so much for the detailed reply :oops::rolleyes:

Oct 27, 2020
    goenKendama likes this.
  5. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

@Evergarden Guunzo has the smaller Soft Catch in stock. They've been out of production for a while. Also due to the nature of the material they're not going to hold up like regular paint.

No need to buy the Kendama Bumpers from us, just make your own. We gave away the secret long ago. . . just use bicycle innertubes.

Here's a shot of a less extreme version of the Bandai cup changing kendama.
    bandai x cross.jpg

Fun fact, someone actually used one of these at the 2014 Catch & Flow. There was a lot of goofin' that day. :D

Also the Catchy Air is my mom's favorite kendama . . . because I make less noise with it when I'm visiting during the holidays.

Oct 27, 2020
    5kwid likes this.