Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Lets push the limit of what is allowed

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by htimSxelA, Jul 1, 2017.

1. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

I'm thinking of trying something out, after seeing the new Musou in another thread. How ridiculous can we get, designing a dama that still is legal for use in KWC?

Every year at KWC, Gloken basically sets the standard for what is or isn't allowed, and it is largely determined by what 'fits in the box'. There are some additional rules too:

(From the GLOKEN site)
    – You can use any regular-sized kendama (ken cannot be taller than 17 cm / 6.7 inches), enjoy playing with your favorite kendama. We will put Kendama World Cup 2017 sticker after “Dama-Check”.
    – Hole of tama must be ONE, except a string hole. Not allowed to have more than one spike and three cups. Also, the diameter of the bevel shall be within 23.5 mm (0.925 inches).
    – Removable attachments (accessories) can not be removed or replaced within a 3 minute challenge time.
    ※Use of fixed or implanted removal attachments without making the kendamas shape different are accepted.
    – Up to THREE kendamas per player can be passed “Dama-Check” for the Kendama World Cup 2017.
    – Keep kendamas in excellent condition to avoid any trouble during the play. Changes of kendama in the middle of competition are NOT allowed.

Sooo what about cutting the top of the bird ridges to be completely flat? Or wrapping the bird ridges in grip tape? How BIG can we make big cup? Metal weights implanted into the ken?

What can you all come up with? I'll see if I can make some kendamas to the designs we think of, and try to get them KWC-certified :p

Jul 1, 2017
    Dama.ob, Mollidama, MathiasK and 5 others like this.
  2. Gasiek

Gasiek Slayer

Yeah, i was thinking exactly the same @htimSxelA when I first saw and played a slaydawg. I was thinking in which way the kendama is going. Tacky paints, huge cups and big bevel, everything to make kendama easier. What is the point? I rally admire players like Ben Herald, playing on natty and doing great tricks. I know it has things like bigger cups, but it is natty. Also I am playing on sweets prime, because it is easier to catch tricks, and it is really good to play. But in which direction is it going?

Jul 1, 2017
  3. Sir Spike

Sir Spike Slayer

This is great! I just replied to your post in a different thread about how mods concern me.

Jul 1, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  4. htimSxelA

To be fair, a well-worked in natty plays better than any paint, really. A fresh natty tama will often be slick as hell, but with the right wood and work-in, they can get epic!

Jul 1, 2017
  5. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

I just got a craft plus 2.0 and am working on breaking it in. I already have a craft plus slim with a slaydawg tama on it. Any tips (besides sweat) for breaking in a natty?

Jul 1, 2017
    Kendama_Cam, Jake Wiens and sambarboo like this.
  6. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Birch and raw ash is a godly combo, so playing that combo (which the GT-BH is) is honestly better than paint.

Jul 1, 2017
  7. Stuart Barron

Stuart Barron Slayer

I've often wondered, that if you were to use the Gloken box as jelly mould would it even look like a kendama?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Jul 1, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  8. Tofurush

Tofurush n00b

You could hollow out most of the ken and shove some electronic components in there; just some battery connectors and some sort of PCB. It'll be wired to electromagnets embedded inside the cups and other stall points. The tama will have some sort metal embedded it in (or just be made out of it) so that it will be attracted to the ken when the magnets are activated.

The setup will have a remote controlled on/off switch which the player can hold in their other hand, so that they will be able to release the magnets when they need to toss the ball or ken.

Hopefully the magnets will be strong enough that people will be able to land completely horizontal, sideways lighthouses. :rolleyes:

Jul 1, 2017
  9. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Patience. Take advantage of the summer months. When you are not playing (for whatever odd reason) hold the tama in your hands.

Jul 2, 2017
    Eric H, sambarboo and Gasiek like this.
  10. htimSxelA

Thats what I'm talking about!
    (except for the actually making it part... that would be a task!)

Jul 2, 2017
    sambarboo, Congarranza and Gasiek like this.
  11. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Just from the description, sounds like it meets the KWC requirements. Just make sure batteries are fully charged because you can't change them out during the 3 minute period. I also think this setup would benefit with a bungee string ;) so any "miss" just gets yanked right back into position.

Jul 2, 2017
    sambarboo and Gasiek like this.
  12. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Slayer

i was thinking chain some tricks so that we don't have to start again swing or pull up something, unless it's specifically said to the trick that it starts a pull up...

Jul 3, 2017
  13. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

@azleonhart has mentioned in the past about using a rotary tool to create an extra notch under small cup for added gunslinger support. Relieving the bit of weight from the small cup side will enhance lunar stability.

Jul 3, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  14. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

Jul 3, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  15. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

16. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Hahaha!! That's so good! I have seen it only on the internet, never in real life.

Jul 3, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  17. htimSxelA

Chaining tricks isn't allowed, you have to start from hanging each time.
    I'm actually not sure it explicitly says that online, but I know it will be the rule

Jul 3, 2017
    sambarboo and Edric Owen Ladera like this.
  18. htimSxelA

Thats very in line with what I'm talking about! I remember seeing these a couple years ago. Li-Ho was already slinger-lord, with this ken in his hand, it was crazy the sort of tricks he could pull!

Jul 3, 2017
  19. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Does this mean that you have to reset with your hand before going into another trick? Like can you "flow" into other tricks if possible?

I remember in Wyatt Bray's KWC run that he does 2 turn cush in, and then he goes immediately into the forward moon throw to house from there without resetting with his hand (see trick below)

Is this allowed or do you have to stop, reset with your other hand, and then proceed with the trick?

Jul 4, 2017
    Gasiek likes this.
  20. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

While we are living in 2017, KDX has been living in 3017.
    Gentlemen, i present to you, the Gantz kendama.

imgrc0064314389.jpg imgrc0064314390.jpg

Jul 5, 2017