Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Lunar Backflips

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Peyton, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Peyton

Peyton Member

I have started to see more "lunar backflips" around on social media lately and am wondering if anybody has tried them/ figured out the technique. For those who don't know what they look like, land a normal lunar, and then instead of turning the ken for a normal lunar flip, spin the ken the opposite way. If you need a video I know the Ben Herald just posted one on Instagram (there are also lots of other vids around I believe). The hard part is just stopped the momentum of the bottom of the ken I think, and am not sure how to land it. Thanks!

Feb 6, 2017
    lategreat808 and LukeZ like this.
  2. maxdesu

maxdesu Honed Member

Try going from small cup lunar to a half (back.. front.. idk the opposite way) to inward big cup lunar. I'd imagine that's step one. I think of it as a stilt over the valley but go for the lune

Feb 6, 2017
    LukeZ, SouthpawTRK and htimSxelA like this.
  3. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Look at how the ken is sitting in inward lunar right before you flip it. The goal is to catch it back in that same spot and at the same angle it was at before. So when you flip it towards you, watch the big cup as it's coming down, get under it, and gently scoop it so that it sits right back on inward lunar like it did before. A good way to practice the scooping and catching part is to do what @maxdesu said above. Doing this and using your knees will help. You also don't want to just let it plop on there. Cushion it by moving up and down with the ken.

I've been experimenting with different techniques and what I've been trying out is not flipping it directly straight up, but pushing the backflip more towards me. This way I can scoop it when it's about to land. I used to think these were difficult but I've landed enough of them now to know that I just need to keep practicing them before I can be consistent

Feb 6, 2017
    LukeZ and SouthpawTRK like this.
  4. SouthpawTRK

SouthpawTRK Member

Both @maxdesu and @Nick Lectura both have awesome tips on getting consistent on the Lunar Backlfip. If you combine what they recommend with a sticky/grippy tama it will definitely help out.

Feb 6, 2017
  5. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

I'm just now getting lunar flips so I will have to put this on the back burner for now. I once thought I would never land a lunar, let alone do a lunar flip. It's crazy how fast you can progress once you start sticking Lunars.

Feb 6, 2017
    ~aly :D likes this.
  6. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

wouldn't the "normal" way indeed be a backflip? The oppo way is a front flip

Feb 8, 2017
  7. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

yeaa this makes more sense to make.

Regardless, this trick is tough. You need a reeally grabby/sticky tama on a ken with really solid lunar balance. I've only done this move once or twice, it feels nice when you get it though!

Feb 8, 2017
  8. sorrywongnumber

sorrywongnumber Honed Member

Thank you soo much I've been trying to get backflips for sooo long

Feb 8, 2017
  9. Nick Lectura

No problem man! Hopefully this helps/makes some sense! It's a much easier trick to explain in person cause visuals are helpful

Feb 8, 2017
  10. Brucey

Brucey Honed Member

Ok, so not really a beginner trick but can anyone give me better tips on how to do lunar backflips than just bend your knees? Lol

May 29, 2017
    Jasper B. likes this.
  11. Nick Lectura

For starters, this is a hard trick to try and explain using text. It's way easier in person lol

But basically, you want to scoop it out of the air. When doing the backflip, it's not supposed to just plop onto the tama. You want to catch the rim of the big cup at an angle as it makes its way around. Also make sure that you flip it in a straight direction, don't flip it sideways or crooked because it'll be harder to catch.

It's a combo of knees and the scooping motion

Jun 9, 2017
    James Sevilla and Sir Spike like this.
  12. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Pro tip i got from Kota sone weeks back : once the ken lands on the tama, it’ll want to try to slip off.
    So the easiest way to counter that is to include a small (like, a really tiny bit) rotation of the tama, opposite of where the ken is turning towards.

Jun 9, 2017
    James Sevilla and Brucey like this.
  13. Brucey

Brucey Honed Member

Ayyyy! Thanks guys!! I actually landed 1 last night but my camera shut off on me and then I put down another 3 today on my 30 minute lunch break!!

Jun 9, 2017
    Nick Lectura likes this.
  14. Nick Lectura

Oh yeah that's another thing I've noticed helps a little
    Dang!

Jun 9, 2017