Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

"Pre-Kendama Passions"

Discussion in 'Non-Dama Drama' started by Cobikaze, Nov 1, 2016.

1. maxdesu

maxdesu Honed Member

Wow, lots of FGFS people here..
    I was never really deep into FGFS , cause it was scary and I sucked, but I've owned a few NJS bikes and rode with ALOHA FIXED in Hawaii.

I also played a lot of Bike Polo when I first moved to Japan. Twice a week..

Nov 28, 2016
  2. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Seriously! A lot of replies for fixed riders in here. There is a decent amount of bike polo in Vancouver, I've been tempted to check it out. Gonna hit up the velodrome in Burnaby too, take some of their intro courses to see how I like it (I already have a full gearset, and a tubular track wheelset, so hopefully I'm down haha).
    Personally, I like some FGFS stuff: riding fast, jumping off stuff, trackstand tricks and finesse. I don't vibe with the 'doing BMX tricks on a fixie' as much, it just doesn't look as clean to me. Yea its hard as fuck I'm sure, but I can't help but think you should just ride a BMX if you want to grind down a hubba or something like that. Or a skateboard :rolleyes:
    I found this dude @burdphil on instagram, he posts a bunch of cool stuff. Also discovered some of Rice's old FGFS videos, some cool stuff hiding there!

Nov 28, 2016
  3. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

Agreed for sure. I kinda phased out of the FGFS scene when it started transitioning to BMX style, but it's still my daily rider if i'm on a bike. I was all about the tricks that you could ONLY do on a fixed gear because that made it so unique (and bombing hills of course). Riding fakie around town is still one of my favorite things to do haha it get's the funniest looks, people are just so baffled. Fish & Chips are super fun to bust out too. Here's a fish & chip tutorial I made back in the day like the first week I learned it, I can do them a lot smoother now though haha

Nov 30, 2016
  4. Clayk27

Clayk27 Member

Any sports

Dec 22, 2016
  5. Ryan Stockwell

Ryan Stockwell n00b

Scootering is the bomb! I was hoping someone else and here rode! Dude I watched your edit when it came out!

Dec 22, 2016
    slothymane and Steezdiaz like this.
  6. Dwesty

Dwesty Honed Member

Dude minor league ball that's sick!!! What organization?

Dec 23, 2016
    cbwalsh24 likes this.
  7. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

haha that's awesome man! I had a fun run in the scooter scene for sure :D

Dec 23, 2016
  8. Aloysius_hung_

Aloysius_hung_ Honed Member

I used to be passionate bout skateboarding but it kinda wore out when i started playin kendama more and more bcos kendama can be played anywhere otw and back home frm sch while i cant really skate everywhere and anytime and im not gd at it either

Dec 24, 2016
    fiddletrix likes this.
  9. AndrewBenincasa_CNYK

AndrewBenincasa_CNYK Member

I was really into yoyoing but my non-toy prekendama passions and passions that I still do today are ski racing, rock climbing, and playing soccer

Dec 24, 2016
  10. fiddletrix

fiddletrix Member

Martial arts tricking, it's still a massive part of my life!

Also skateboarding for a number of years prior to that.

Dec 24, 2016
  11. Aloysius_hung_

Aloysius_hung_ Honed Member

Oo high five

Dec 24, 2016
    fiddletrix likes this.
  12. cbwalsh24

cbwalsh24 Honed Member

Thanks dude, big fan of your work slaying the dama. I was in Chicago playing single A for the D Backs. I'm actually moving to Australia after Christmas to play for a team in their professional league called the Adelaide Bite. Pretty stoked to be playing again and getting back in a league. I've noticed amongst some kendama players that they may have played baseball at some point. I will say, once I started playing kendama my arm started feeling a lot stronger off the mound. Great way to pay for school, make some money, and travel a bit.

Dec 24, 2016
    Cheech_Sander and Dwesty like this.
  13. dama.hon

dama.hon Member

Im the only one here with Chelsea who did and still do cubing!

Kendama def is the best thing that happened to me

Dec 28, 2016
  14. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

@cbwalsh24 did you ever read ODD MAN OUT? A novel semi based on true stories about minor league ball in Mormon Utah. One of my good friends owns the film rights and is developing it as a feature film

Dec 28, 2016
  15. karekarekeah

karekarekeah Member

I play guitar, ukulele, and basketball. I still do all of these and love doing them.

Dec 28, 2016
  16. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

Dec 28, 2016
  17. Oori

Oori n00b

Before I found Kendama I was into longboarding and still doing it! I wanted try Kendama ever since I saw the documentary vid of Iji's 'Portrait of a Kendama Samurai'.

Now I'm actively improving in my longboarding, Kendama and swing dancing

Jan 3, 2017
  18. theligitchriswhit

theligitchriswhit Honed Member

I still do begleri and fingerboarding and alot of bike stuff I try BMX but I'm bad I just do it to hang out with friends. I used to do cubing and at one point I had a PB of 5 seconds on the pyramin. I tried yoyo but I only knew some dinky tricks and half of a tech trick and that's it.

Jan 4, 2017
  19. Ricky Røge

Ricky Røge Slayer

like most people i play video games, mostly old school stuff rpg and indie stuff. I've also been producing electronic music for 7 years now, mostly dubstep, trap, hiphop and some breakcore stuff.
    You can listen to my newer stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/toninofficial and my older stuff here: soundcloud.com/buttkraken

Jan 4, 2017
  20. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Drawing and music.
    Was a huge anime geek back in jr high and high school (if you couldn't tell by my profile pic). Still draw today, not as much though. You'll see what I draw on my artist instagram (@keegan_draws). Mostly all anime and comic book hero (which is mostly Spider-Man) sketches.
    Played trumpet for 10+ years until my 3rd year at Boise State University, those 3 years at BSU I played with the Blue Thunder Marching Band from 2008 to 2011. I play guitar and the ukulele as well and sing too. I sometimes bring my ukulele with me to the after school community center I work at and play for the kids, but I'm WAY out of practice since I picked up kendama almost 2 years ago.

Jan 4, 2017
    Jenny Cho and James Hoang like this.