Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Premium ozora?

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Bloukinen, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Bloukinen

Bloukinen Honed Member

I was wondering what the paint on the premium Ozora paint is like? how tacky or sticky? how long to break in? how long does it last? Just any info you might have, thanks!

Feb 10, 2017
    jstandi.dama likes this.
  2. Jakub Plachý

Jakub Plachý n00b

Best from the premium ones are the OG White one and the Orange one. The paint is pretty much like a Zen paint. Then we have the newer ones: Blue, Red, Translucents, Green, Gold and Half-Splits. These all are really sticky in the beginning, but they break in really nicely and become less stickier. Then it's like an ideal amount of slip/tack. In the end, I like the first two more, cause they're much more durable then the others, but it's just my opinion. Get yourself a Premium Ozora, you can't go wrong with any of these. Dama on my friend!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Feb 10, 2017
  3. bonerkid

bonerkid Honed Member

I'll second the white premium. Have one myself and the paint really is great. It can also take a hell of a beating without chipping as well. Mine is an absolute golfball, but the paint is barely chipped except juuuuust around the tama hole. Worth it for sure!

Feb 10, 2017
  4. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Not much to add here. Totally agree with the above statements. Ozora premium paint is one of my favorites. If it weren't for their natty series I would have a lot more of them.

Feb 10, 2017
  5. Almostgets

Almostgets Slayer

Big fan of the premium paint. Less sticky than dwi sticky af, slightly less sticker than lol. Fantastic paint though.

Feb 10, 2017
  6. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Yea I'm gonna agree with the others.. it has a great 'sticky / tacky' sort of feel, awesome grip for balance tricks! Def recommend

Feb 10, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  7. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately the original orange paint has been reworked to the new premium paint, so only the white remains.
    Even so, the whites are slowly running out..
    Oozora may release an updated white very soon.

Feb 10, 2017
  8. Guy LaBorde

Guy LaBorde Honed Member

Interesting. I didnt know that the old premium ones had a different paint. That's cool!

My last kendama was the premium green (I just got my keyaki two days ago). Something I can add to the topic is that the grippy paint eventually wears off and the colored paint underneath remains. This lower layer is slightly more grippy than a broken in normal ozora, but it is less durable than normal ozora paint (I'm comparing it to my old galaxy). This being said, the grippy layer lasts pretty long, and even when it's gone, the kendama still slays well.

Feb 10, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  9. Bloukinen

Bloukinen Honed Member

Sweet thanks!

Feb 11, 2017
    Guy LaBorde likes this.
  10. Blake W.

Blake W. Honed Member

Yeah, as an nOOb I bought a white(huge mistake) and was sort of disappointed as someone who was expecting something like KUSA's super stick. So I pretty much wasted that top sticky coat ;( but yeah def recommend

Feb 11, 2017
  11. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

IIRC the first series of Orange was special run for KUSA. The second Orange came out last Summer to a wider release but also for a limited time.

Feb 11, 2017
  12. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

They released a translucent green, brown and black as well.
    There's a translucent yellow made specially for the participants of the JKA Festa last year.

Feb 11, 2017
  13. goenKendama

Seems like the guys at Ozora are getting more into collaborations and sprint runs of colors or styles than before. That's good to see.

Feb 11, 2017
  14. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

I've wanted a white premium ozora since I got my first ozora. But those new fade gold premiums look incredible. Is the white paint better for real? They're different enough to tell?

Feb 11, 2017
  15. Bloukinen

Bloukinen Honed Member

I'm seriously tempted to get one of the new fade premiums, they just look so cool!

Feb 12, 2017
  16. kendama duke

kendama duke Honed Member

Anyone having the premium green ozora?

Feb 12, 2017
  17. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

My first ozora was the premium green. Was super good for anything. Balance was great, perfect amount of tack.

Feb 12, 2017
  18. htimSxelA

I think there was an even older run of orange ozoras, that were gifts for contestants of a JKA competition... maybe 7-8 years ago?

Feb 12, 2017
    goenKendama likes this.
  19. goenKendama

There might have been but I'm not sure they were the "Premium" paint. I was under the impression that the Premium White was the first then the Premium Orange.

Feb 12, 2017
  20. htimSxelA

Yea, that is true, good point!

I was pretty sure that the older orange ozoras had a recommended seal, and a quick google search confirmed it:
    upload_2017-2-12_19-35-43.png

Compare to a modern premium orange ozora:
    upload_2017-2-12_19-36-3.png

Considering that the old orange is in 'OG' white package... I wonder if it is the same paint as the other OG ozoras?
    The metallic blue Ozora from that era was a different paint (it was REAL slick compared to OG paint), so there is a chance its different. By the time the entire lineup had switched to the new paint (when the yellow came out), they were in black packaging.

Here's a random story: I went to EJC 2012 in Lublin Poland, and Tajima Akira brought an orange Ozora. When it came time to compete, the Void made a point of not allowing him to use it, since it didn't have the approved seal!
    I wonder if it didn't get the seal because of a difference in paint, colour, or just the fact it was short run? Some of the competition-only Mugens have the approved seal (emerald, pokeball, etc)

Feb 12, 2017