Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Sourcing pre-made wood spheres for tamas?

Discussion in 'The Lumber Yard' started by jooshbag1108, Aug 6, 2017.

1. jooshbag1108

jooshbag1108 Member

Hey guys, I'm new here but I have been playing kendama for a while. Recently, I bought a mini lathe to try my hand at making my own kens. A few of my friends have expressed interest in buying some kendamas from me but I don't even wanna think about how much work it would take to try and make a tama on a lathe (without special equipment).
    I know some companies (like Sweets) sell blank tamas but since I'd be selling them I don't want to use another companies tama.
    Does anyone know of a place to get some pre-made spheres (in the right size) that I could make into tamas?

Aug 6, 2017
  2. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

This video shows making a Tama.

If you are looking to pick up some spheres @Ben Lowe might know where to get them. he made a cryptic post about potentially having some a while back...

Aug 6, 2017
  3. jooshbag1108

jooshbag1108 Member

I actually just watched that video the other day. I feel like I could do it but I just wanted to see if there was another option in case I couldn't. I only asked because the employees at the woodworking store I go to were pretty adamant that it would probably be too hard without special equipment.

Aug 6, 2017
  4. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

Word. That's so cool you have a lathe though! I'm jealous!

BTW I don't think there is anything wrong with throwing a random other company's tama on your hand turned kens. @htimSxelA often drops his kusa pro mod Tama on his Terra hand turned masterpieces.

Aug 6, 2017
  5. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

Good luck with whatever you end up doing! Post pics of your work!

Aug 6, 2017
    jooshbag1108 likes this.
  6. jooshbag1108

jooshbag1108 Member

Hey, still haven't tried making a tama yet but I thought I'd share my progress on my ken prototype, since you asked for pics lol. IMG_20170815_190137_833.jpg
    Here it is, cups are huge, slip stop is too wide, spike's kinda fat and all the holes are poorly drilled/slightly off. Still, it plays surprisingly well considering. Let me know what you think!

Aug 15, 2017
  7. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Looks like a lunar beast!! That's pretty damn good.

My question is what makes people drill the sarado with grain going horizontal vs vertical? Most companies do "vertical" (your case), but stodd mod, Rwb, and terra skateply show different "horizontal" pattern.

Aug 15, 2017
  8. jooshbag1108

jooshbag1108 Member

Thanks man! I appreciate it. It IS a lunar beast. It almost feels like cheating, it's so easy haha.

As to your question, I don't know why it's so common for the sarado to have the grain vertical. Truthfully, I pretty much only did it that way cause I know that it's the common way to do it. I do think it shows off the grain patterns really nicely that way. If you do it horizontally, all the cool patterns are pretty much hidden under the tama or on the underside of the sarado.

Aug 15, 2017
  9. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

Nice work!! That thing is rad! I love chunky kens! Super stoked for you!

Aug 15, 2017
  10. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

I don't know the answer but I have a guess.
    Wood tends to split with the grain. Tops bottoms of the cups tend to get the most abuse. (Think stall points, insta lunars, catching the Tama hard with the big cup, or even the Ken hitting the concrete when it is spinning). Keeping the grain vertical might add some structural stability to the top and bottom of the cups.

I'm sure there's pros and cons though. I could see horizontal grain catching better for lunars...

Aug 15, 2017
  11. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

True, but I feel like the player sees it more during play from the top.
    It's interesting to see only the sarado was done in that fashion for my RWB. The skateply has both pieces "rotated."

Aug 16, 2017
  12. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

Hmm interesting... I find that I prefer horizontal plywood (at least for the cups) because it is hard for my eye to track the spike when everything is vertical

Aug 16, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  13. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Is that why I suck with a spectraply? :confused:

Aug 16, 2017
    TheWickEffect likes this.
  14. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

I dunno, I feel like I'm worse at a lot of tricks on them. I also find that I have to rely on muscle memory a lot more than tracking and lighting is more important.

Aug 16, 2017
  15. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

I can't necessarily speak for other manufacturer's reasoning, but I think it is mainly aesthetics.

The two most 'classic' examples are OG mugens (sarado grain vertical) and Ozoras (sarado grain horizontal). I don't think I've ever seen a single kendama made by either manufacture deviate from this. Mugens alway vertical, ozoras always horizontal.

Here is why I don't think it is structurally relevant: have you ever seen a sarado from either brand (or any other brand, really) split in half right in the centre? Even if one grain orientation is stronger than the other, both seem more than strong enough for the abuse of kendama play, so the decision must be made based on something else. My guess is looks. I've always made Terra handturneds have horizontal grain in the sarado. I'm not sure there are any exceptions.

Aug 20, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  16. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

I remembered coming across wood spheres (not sure if spheres or eggy) at my local Daiso.
    Will buy one in a couple of days and measure to see if it's JKA-sized out of the box.
    They cost a measly $1.50.

Aug 21, 2017
  17. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

This is a total guess, but I would imagine dollar-store wood products will be a lightweight birchwood at best, or maybe even a harder softwood (some type of pine?). Check the weight on it too!

Aug 22, 2017
  18. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

I picked up these on Amazon a while back but they were pre-finished so might not help you much.

Sep 1, 2017
  19. m.peterson28

m.peterson28 Member

super super dank! i’d buy one for sure

Sep 23, 2017