Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

The JKA is going to NAKO!

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by goenKendama, Sep 25, 2019.

1. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

+

The JKA (Japan Kendama Association) will be sending a couple of its members to the NAKO and they will offer kendama tests (Kyu & Dan level tests) and an introductory kendama teacher's course (Fukyūin – 普及員コース) for those interested in being certified to offer Pre-Kyu through Junshodan (pre-Dan) tests to their students, clubs, etc.

The class will be free and will run 60-90 minutes. Those interested in attending please read through the "History" and "Learn" sections of the new JKA Website. Knowing the material beforehand will streamline the class and allow for more time to cover new topics and questions.

The JKA members attending will be Vice-Chairman Hiroyuki Yano 9th Dan from Osaka and (cough) me (goenKendama). :D It will be a good chance to hopefully get a bit more insight into the JKA and ask questions too.

UPDATE:
    Teacher training - Delta Hotels, Duluth Room, 12:30pm-2pm OCT 3 (Thursday)
    Level testing (Dan/Kyu) - Delta Hotels, Duluth Room, 3:30pm-5:30pm OCT 4 (Friday)
    Level testing (Dan/Kyu) - Delta Hotels, Duluth Room, 11am-1pm OCT 5 (Saturday)

Here is some additional information from a previous post:

I received word from a JKA official about costs related to the tests. The test itself is free. It is the certificate, registration and annual membership components that require payment and those are optional. These are two examples he provides.

Here are the costs if choosing to become a JKA member. (Dan fees are discounted)
    JKA membership fee 5,000 JPY
    1st dan 4,000 JPY
    2nd dan 6,000 JPY
    3rd dan 8,000 JPY
    4th dan 10,000 JPY
    5th dan 20,000 JPY
    So if you passed 4th dan, and wanted to register, you would pay:
    5,000+4,000+6,000+8,000+10,000=33,000 JPY

Here are the costs if choosing not to become a JKA member. (Dan fees are not discounted)
    JKA membership fee 0 JPY
    1st dan 6,000 JPY
    2nd dan 9,000 JPY
    3rd dan 12,000 JPY
    4th dan 15,000 JPY
    5th dan 30,000 JPY
    So if you passed 4th dan, and wanted to register, you would pay:
    0+6,000+9,000+12,000+15,000=42,000 JPY

Normally the JKA requires each Dan level to be completed before the next higher is attempted, the tests need 3 examiners to administer for Dan 1-5, and at least one month should have elapsed between attempts. In an effort to help foreign players achieve Dan ranks they have made some allowances and adjustments to their standard system in certain circumstances.

*** If you only wish to take the Dan test(s) without registering your rank or joining the JKA membership then upon passing a given rank you will receive an A4 size form that states the level you passed. Hang on to that form. If you choose in the future to become registered and receive the corresponding Japanese certificate (pictured below) the associated fees would need to be paid.

Dan Level Trick Table

For reference Dan certs:

Here are the schedules for NAKO.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Sep 25, 2019
  2. Thomas Ishikawa

Thomas Ishikawa Honed Member

https://openers.jp/design/design_product/952744
    Couple of questions:
    -I have this Ozora Papier Tigre Kendama with the 日本けん玉協会 seal on it. Is it okay to use?
    -Can we use bearings or does it have to be a traditional bead?

Attached Files:

Sep 26, 2019
  3. goenKendama

Is that a "factory" Ozora paint job? Usually aftermarket paint/art disqualifies the nintei (certification). Bearings are OK. I recently asked them about that. I'll double check about the paint and see if one of the others recognize it.

UPDATE: Just heard back, you're all good with that kendama.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Sep 26, 2019
    Thomas Ishikawa likes this.
  4. goenKendama

Schedule updated in first post.

Sep 26, 2019
  5. Thomas Ishikawa

Thank you so much! I can’t wait to try this out at NAKO!

Sep 27, 2019
    goenKendama likes this.
  6. goenKendama

Sep 27, 2019
  7. goenKendama

Getting ready for the Moshikame part of the JKA Dan tests. This stringless kendama will be available to use for that portion if you don't have your own or just want to use this one. Some people will try with a string attached but when you get up in to the 100s it's a lot harder to keep it from tangling and you only have 1 chance to complete the trick.

. . . A closely guarded JKA secret is that the Moshikame challenge isn't about the trick as much as it's about self-discipline and patience; part of the Kendama-dō aspect of the JKA system you might have heard about. ;) (Read more about it here: JKA website)

Sep 29, 2019
  8. Thomas Ishikawa

Late post but ended up being able to get first dan at the NAKO this year. Thanks @goenKendama and to Yano-San? (Please correct me if I’m wrong) on organizing it.
    F13AF858-32C4-43B6-A188-D4330A411AB1.jpeg 0D60B67B-D1CE-4C50-9598-8F8F9A5890B6.jpeg

Oct 9, 2019
    goenKendama likes this.
  9. goenKendama

Glad you were able to give the Dan tests a shot. And yes it's Yano-san, he's the Vice Chairman of the JKA. It was good to meet you there.

Oct 9, 2019