Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

"THE LOON" - Lunatac's new kendama

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by rhysgoespeace, Aug 10, 2018.

1. rhysgoespeace

rhysgoespeace Member

Lunatac are making yet another lunar machine kendama called 'THE LOON', which as I'm writing this, there's only 8 of the first batch!

One of the most controversial differences between this kendama and other ones is that both the big cup and the small cup are the same size, and I'm interested on what people think about it.

I'm personally not a massive fan, because it kinda ruins the cool factor of tricks like small cup lunar and some people could see it as cheating, but it is pretty cool that the company is willing to take risks and aren't just releasing the same old shapes.

There are some pretty cool features to it, like a really angular swoop, and 'fingerprints' on the top of the sarado to make catching birds and other stalls a bit easier.

What are everyone's thoughts on this kendama?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Aug 10, 2018
  2. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

I'm all for innovation/new ideas.

Cant innovate the sport without risking fails - also I don't really care for "keeping things traditional"
    by all means play OG shapes if you want to but stop hating new gen shapes and ideas (in general - not directed to you @rhygoesspace)

Aug 10, 2018
    LineKnob and rhysgoespeace like this.
  3. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

This made me lol!
    Lunatac certainly knows how to push the boundaries! I think the skateboard comparison is a little bit of a stretch, but otherwise I agree with the general idea behind this post.

For the dama-nerd record: CWCS made a sarado with double big cup, 2-3 years ago. So this isn't unprecedented, though I don't think CWCS still sells that model these days. I can't remember the name of it now... I think for a while if you bought one of their kens, they included an extra sarado with double big cup 'for free' along with it.

Aug 10, 2018
    Jedi_man and slothymane like this.
  4. Broc Stauffer

Broc Stauffer Honed Member

The only thing that I’m torn on is the small cup. I would like to have all 3 cups on a dama. But, it would be very fun to lace lunar tricks with 2 big cups.

Aug 10, 2018
  5. Stuart Barron

Stuart Barron Slayer

Well at least you wont have to re string if your a lefty!

Aug 10, 2018
  6. Fr3dMc

Fr3dMc Member

Props to lunatak doing something innovative but it's not a Kendama without a small cup. I think the skateboard comparison is far fetched. Part of the reason the mirror works so well on a skateboard is the ability to do tricks with your switch foot using the same mechanics as your dominant foot. On a kendama you have to restring it or play a wormhole string to get a similar effect. That being said I'll probably buy one anyway

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Aug 11, 2018
    rhysgoespeace likes this.
  7. Fr3dMc

Fr3dMc Member

String will be on the wrong side though I tried playing a lefty Kendama and it made everything harder.

Aug 11, 2018
  8. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

why should it be? just turn it 180° haha

Aug 11, 2018
    htimSxelA and rhysgoespeace like this.
  9. Ricky Røge

Ricky Røge Slayer

I like the idea, and in general the small cup doesnt make any difference, mostly when doing lunar tricks. But its kinda sad that this beast wont be allowed for competitions..

Aug 12, 2018
  10. Fr3dMc

Fr3dMc Member

. Right..no small cup Lol

Aug 12, 2018
  11. Donuts

Donuts Member

I copped one. I’m all for innovation and I’m looking forward to seeing what this kendama can do

Aug 13, 2018
    slothymane likes this.
  12. Dantama

Dantama Honed Member

Same with me :)
    Mine should be here tomorrow, im hyped on it!

Aug 13, 2018
    Donuts likes this.
  13. Fr3dMc

Fr3dMc Member

Ok after owning this for awhile not a fan. The base cup is way to light and takes to much adjustment after playing a regular Kendama.

Oct 2, 2018
    Relyk and Donuts like this.
  14. Donuts

Donuts Member

I feel like I’ve adjusted to it pretty well. Most kens are going in the direction of lighter base cups. In my opinion the ken is the saving grace of this kendama.

My one complaint is that the tama lost its stickiness really fast and I’ve had to switch it out right away. Really disappointing given the promises about the tama. Probably won’t buy another one for this alone.

Oct 2, 2018
  15. Instagrom3

Instagrom3 Honed Member

props to them for trying something different i can appreciate that, not my cup of tea though, ill stick to a regular shaped kendama

Oct 2, 2018
  16. TheDamaDope

TheDamaDope Member

Gonna bring The Loon back into conversation now that we've had it for quite some time.

How does the community feel about using it for clips, edits etc?

Obviously competition would be ruled out.

~Tl;dr
    How do you feel about 2 big cups?
    Why do or don't you agree with it?
    Should people use them in clips/edits?~

Having 2 of the same sized cups, in my opinion, doesn't affect play enough to be a complaint.

In the grand scheme of Dama tricks, how often do we really use the small cup? Yes, it's a staple of around anything.... (Under)Nightingale. Occasionally we use it for lunars.

My arguments for why it shouldn't matter.
    -cup tricks.... I feel like small cup catches are more difficult due to hand position. Not cup size. Yes it's a tiny bit more difficult, but it's really not that drastic a difference (especially with modern cup sizes).
    -lunars... While they would be easier with 2 big cups, I feel it would open up the "attractiveness" and flow of lines. The benefit would outweigh the negatives I feel. (Better looking tricks/lines vs slight difficult change).
    -Stalls..... Again, same as above. Slightly easier, yes. The flow and "attractiveness" of tricks improves. Benefits > negatives

I guess my general argument is that while the lack of a small cup will make tricks slightly easier, I don't feel the difference is drastic enough to warrant complaint outside of organized competition.

Not to mention the better flow and presumably jump in progression that would accompany the communal acceptance of 2 big cups.

Jan 13, 2019
    rhysgoespeace and Kyle Patterson like this.
  17. Percussivelove

Percussivelove n00b

I think It's a unique shape for sure, but what exactly is a dama defined as? three cups and a spike or a specific shape? the JKA box is one definition, this could be another.

Jan 13, 2019
    TheDamaDope likes this.
  18. rTTn

rTTn Slayer

I can say as a Lefty player that having the 2 same sized cups is great for putting kendama in peoples hand. Typically if I hand one off to a right handed person the small cup will be up and therefor harder for someone who's never played.

Jan 14, 2019
  19. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

As a lefty myself, I totally agree with this. @ShovelLovell threw one in on a trade and I have been shredding it like crazy.

As advertised, the ken murders lunars in the first degree, but I wish the kendama was a little heavier. It really feels a bit too light in my hand. Also, it seems to dent really easily, as if the source of the wood wasnt ideal. Another issue is the ring stalls; they just don't stick with the odd shaped base. Other than those issues though I find it to be a pretty nice kendama. If you are trying to learn lunars lines this is probably your best bet.

Jan 20, 2019
  20. rhysgoespeace

rhysgoespeace Member

One potential problem of the loon cups becoming standard is that we would either have to change the names ‘big cup’ and ‘small cup’ to something else, or we’d keep the names of the cups, which would be super confusing.

Tbh I definetly don’t think it’s going to become standard like bigger cups and sticky paint has, because the positive of having bigger cups (easier to flow into different lunar tricks, and no need for restringing) isn’t worth the confusion of having to pontentially rename the cups to something else, which would be a huge change.

What do y’all think?

Jan 20, 2019