Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

What has Kendama Helped you Conquer?

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Q Miller-Edwards, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Q Miller-Edwards

Q Miller-Edwards Honed Member

Playing kendama has become much more than just something to have fun and be good at to me. Stupidly enough it's helped me with a multitude of things!

First off OCD. Being a sufferer from this, I've lately began to realize that I haven't been ticking about stupid things such as my dresser drawers not being closed bottom to top, or my pen not being clicked 5 times before writing more than a two word note etc.

Being distracted by something in my hands has really helped me stop focusing on things that are irrelevant

STUDYING!!!

I made mathematical formulas revolve around kendama tricks. For example the quadratic equation would be a ken flip.

I used this as a study tool for my midterm, set my Dama on my desk and felt as if I was cheating for using it to remember formulas. Kinda stupid but hey!

What has kendama done for you??

Apr 24, 2017
    Dan Reinstein and goenKendama like this.
  2. pdxbaggs

pdxbaggs Member

Right on!

For me, it's a constant reminder that you gotta put in the time and fail repeatedly to get good at something. Helps me stay focused and keep grinding

Apr 24, 2017
  3. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

My laziness!
    Hahahaha by all means, i'm still a bit lazy, but kendama has given me some form of workout, rather than sitting home all day, playing games.

Apr 25, 2017
    JayPoir and Q Miller-Edwards like this.
  4. Ricky Røge

Ricky Røge Slayer

it taught me to be patience

Apr 25, 2017
    JayPoir and Q Miller-Edwards like this.
  5. Q Miller-Edwards

When I first got into it I never thought I'd be winded and breaking a sweat over some toy, haha hit the workout is definitely there with kendama!

Apr 25, 2017
    Grandpa Sandz likes this.
  6. Dan Reinstein

Dan Reinstein Member

So I used to skateboard ALOT. I had been skating for ten years and had even begun skating competitively (downhill racing), however I took WAY to many risks and after a couple of cuncussions, internal organ damage, broken bones, and torn muscles, I had to quit. However, it was really hard to give up because skating and skate culture was how I defined myself as a person. Finding out about Kendama from a friend I used to skate with was a godsend. I love the scene, the tricks, and the various cultures and types of people who play! I'm ready to dive in and never look back!

Apr 25, 2017
    Grandpa Sandz and JayPoir like this.
  7. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Hahaha, I like the idea of using kendama tricks as a memory castle, I bet this would work really well because of all the muscle memory that goes into each trick. I could totally see myself doing flash cards with equations of them and then writing a trick that corresponds to each equation. I almost guarantee this would work great.

Apr 25, 2017
    Q Miller-Edwards likes this.
  8. Q Miller-Edwards

It really does!!

Apr 25, 2017