Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

kenditioner.... linked to loose cups?

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Con man, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Con man

Con man Honed Member

ive notice after kenditioning my kendama my cups never want to stay on wondered if anyone else has the same thing happen?

Jun 12, 2019
  2. poncho151

poncho151 Honed Member

Kendamas rely on wood on wood friction and pressure to stay together (with the exception of fixed sarados i.e. Tribute). Some more than others depending on the shape design. So when you basically add a lubricant/kenditioner in-between that wood on wood contact, it makes sense that it would move or slide more freely. At least in the beginning when it’s still “greasy”. I haven’t used it in a long time though, so I don’t know what the current formula is like.

Jun 12, 2019
  3. Con man

Con man Honed Member

I find even after its soaked in and dried that it almost makes it a harder slick wood such as purple heart or any other slick hard woods

Jun 12, 2019
  4. poncho151

poncho151 Honed Member

I totally agree and one of the reasons I haven’t used it in a long time. I will say though, it does add a layer of protection from stains. Although I personally like to watch my kens change over time and break in with sweat, oil from my hands and just natural grime lol.

Jun 12, 2019
    Con man likes this.
  5. Con man

Con man Honed Member

same here if I do use it its normaly on beech but I don't do the spike or by the sarado hole

Jun 12, 2019
  6. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

I haven't had that much of an issue with it when kenditioning my kens, even the ones that have 2+ coatings are fine. How much are you using when you're kenditioning them?
    A few fixes I can think of off the top of my head would be to leave the area where the sarado sits on the spike unfinished, or to use a spacer to make the spike 'thicker' so the sarado sits on it more snuggly (Matt Sweets suggests the sticky part of a sticky note, personally I use a small strip of masking tape).

Jun 12, 2019
  7. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

What sort of ken? Some are more prone to loose cups than others

Jun 12, 2019
  8. Seabass

Seabass Honed Member

Just leave the sarado on the Ken when kenditioning. That way you don't lube up the area of the spike that grips the sarado

Jun 12, 2019
    jimgrude and JHard502710 like this.
  9. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Jun 12, 2019